Failing Lang&Lit HL! HELP, I NEED ADVICE ON PAPER 1

Well as you can see below, I am taking English: Language and Literature at higher level. I didn't find anything difficult in the beginning of the course but as time goes on I find it more and more difficult.

I just got my results back for my very first lang&lit Paper 1 and it was quite bad in my opinion. I got a high 3 or a low 4 -out of 7. I am aiming for a 5 or a 6. I really really need it.

I need advice on how to do well in paper 1. Or how to do well in the course in general. What should I practice on?

Thanks!

Give yourself 5-10 mins just to analyse the texts given. Because Paper 1 is the Unseen Texts paper, you can't really "prep" like you do for Paper 2. Make sure you have taken these elements into account:

• Are they fiction or non-fiction texts?
  • What literary features are there? (Graphology etc.)
  • Who are the texts aimed at? (Audience)
  • What are the purposes of the texts? (Inform, advise etc.)

The main part of of Paper 1 is to compare and contrast the texts you are given. Don't just analyse the texts separately look at them together. If it is a fiction/non-fiction combination, how does the different text types emphasise/not emphasise each other? Are you able to gain a different perspective by looking at the texts side-by-side, one you aren't able to get without the support of the other text? Take a look at the bigger picture.

I think the best way to improve on Paper 1 is to know your literary devices inside and out. And also, practise, practise, practise! I think the best way to score marks is to focus on the bigger picture, because it isn't just the typical 'analyse because you can' - you need to show the significance of the two together. (For anyone else reading this, HL Lang/Lit requires commentary on two unseen texts, and SL requires one.)

(Sorry, I would post more about Paper 1 except that is has been a few months since I last did one... Hope I helped!)

• 3 weeks later...