History IA Limitations?

Aditya Chawla

No, there are no limitations on what you can do your IA on. It can be from any time period in history, as long as you have a focused and concise research question. While it is recommended you pick a topic from the syllabus, it is not required, though it will help you for the exams. In my opinion, the most important thing is that you do a topic you have interest in. I mean, this investigation is supposed to take around 20 hours to complete so pick something that you like and not something that bores you to tears. Try to keep away from "pop history" topics (World Wars, Hitler's life, Tianaman Square...ect.), Examiners appreciate less well-known topics, though it is not a requirement. Again, try to pick something you enjoy! And remember to really narrow down your question or it will be difficult to answer within the word-limit.

Edited by paperbox
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are there limitations to the topics I can choose for my History IA? For example, I am doing Route 2 of History HL(20th century european history), so do I have to do an IA only within that time period and geographic location?

Nope! Not at all! I am doing the same Route 2, and you are allowed to choose any topic that occurred in History. However, the topic you choose must have happened at least 10 yrs ago, to be able to write an History IA

I think it has to be atleast 10 years since it occured, so 9/11 could be viable. Just remember, as previously said, you dont want your RQ being to vague, or you wont be able to go in-depth, or do narrow or it will be rather hard to write it.

Its also recommended that you pick a topic in a subject that you will have in your exams, as it's pretty much free studytime.

Edited by Efta