Presentation-help for nerves?

Here's my suggestion: Take pauses and take deep breaths.

Before the presentation, keep your breath cycle to something like this: inhale for five seconds, keep your breath for seven seconds and exhale continuously for eight. Do as many cycles as you can, it helps you focus and reduce the stress/nervousness.

Whilst holding the presentation, have rhetorical pauses in which you'd breath deeply once or twice. Not too many, but enough to keep your nerves in check.

You could also read the suggestions given on this page: http://bestdelegate.com/public-speaking-first-aid-how-to-overcome-nervousness-intimidation-and-perfectionism/

• Like 1

I have several presentations coming up in english, but I get really nervous when doing these. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me feel any less nervous as I don't want this to affect my grade. Thanks

I totally understand where you are coming from. In fact I used to go through the exact same thing but I improved a lot. Here are some tips I did that can hopefully help you too!

1. Find out what is making you nervous. For me it was everybody staring at me and watching me with their eyes. Not to mention all the pressure. I had to be "Perfect" because everyone would see if I made a mistake. If you experience something similar, I would say to understand that you cannot be "perfect" and you just have to give it your best shot. Ignore everyone who is looking at you or if they are judging you because it won't bring you anywhere.

Instead pick three different spots in the classroom (objects, the wall, w.e that are close to people) and from time to time switch your eyes to look at them. This way it seems that you are looking at your classmates when in reality you are not.

2. Know your topic. Really know the subject you are about to present. Know it like the back of your hand. This way, you will not have to depend on reading your power points or whatever sheet you have. This gives you a chance to really explain what you KNOW. When you put in effort to your work, it will pay off and show. And when you know your topic, you will be less nervous (worry less about forgetting things etc.)

3. Rehearse. Practice beforehand. Time yourself withing the time limit of your presentations. My teacher deducts points if we pass the given time limit. When you see yourself in the mirror, check the habits or little things you do that show you are nervous. By doing this, you will be well prepared. That way during the real thing, you know exactly what you will say. A problem I had, was that I didn't practice and I would just do it on the spot. This made me really anxious because I was literally hoping with pure luck that it would go well. It didn't.

4. Breathe. This presentation will not determine the rest of your life. It is probably 10-15 minutes of your life, after that it is over. Generally, we have a tendency to think that things are really bigger than they are. This is something I did a lot which made me really nervous. Think of this as an obstacle that you just need to overcome to where you want to be (In this case, you want a good grade in English, and get that good ol diploma). By breathing, you can really relax yourself.

Hopefully these tips help you out! :D

Good luck!

Funny10sport

• Like 2