• Create Account

Important Announcement!

All May 2014 candidates... IBSurvival Free Revision Sessions is now officially up and running for this exam session! Head over to Facebook and like the page, share it with your school friends and we will do our best to coach you from the beginning of your revision right up until the end :P

Photo

Maths HL exploration

Exploration maths Portfolio coursework
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ryannorrington

ryannorrington
  • Members
  • Unknown
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:58 PM
  • Exams: May 2014
  • United Kingdom
Hey guys, first post on IB survival. Been thinking about what I want to do my exploration into for my coursework. A topic that has come up a few times is computer science and the logic behind that. I was going to try to make a computer write an essay or create something, subsequently fail and explain using maths why a computer can't speculate or "fill in the blanks" to lack of knowing a better word. However I'm worried that this subject may be too vague and I'm worried that I'm going to go real deep into this to realise that I am writing an essay which is irrelevant to maths. Opinions on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Raj Kumar

Raj Kumar
  • Members
  • Unknown
  • 7 posts
  • Exams: May 2013
  • Brunei
good stuff mate.

ChocolateDrop

ChocolateDrop

LSP

• VIP
  • Divine
  • 345 posts
  • Local time: 03:58 PM
  • Exams: May 2014
  • England
It sounds feasible, but you have to make sure to keep it off the realms of computer science and definately indisputably maths. Otherwise this might make it more of a computer science exploration.

You could possibly do something with algorithms.

Or something to do with combinatorics and the whole Shakespeare infinite monkey theorem.

http://en.wikipedia...._monkey_theorem

That's a few ideas that came to mind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IA (HL), Exploration, maths, Portfolio, coursework