help ia research question please

Hey guys! I am currently starting on my business IA and I need some of your guys opinion on my recently thought Research Question. It would great if anyone could give me feedback on it. Thanks!

R.Q: Should company X change it's organizational structure to assist with expansion?

Edited by theycallmemary

Hey there :)

Well regarding your RQ, it seems pretty okay but what type of qualitative and quantitative data do you plan to gather for that? Because remember that your IA must include some sort of quantitative data and calculations etc.

tiva

hello. so,I have decided to change the focus of my RQ from 'expansion' to 'human resource management'; My new RQ will be: "Should Company X modify its organizational structure to assist in increasing staff-motivation?" As for quantitative data: I am planning on using financial data, such as assessing the trends in annual sales revenue to show how demotivation in their staff affect their overall company's perfomativity and image(this one i can get through a survey of customer feedback). Also, rate of labor turn-over and absenteeism are gonna be my main tools.

btw, i just realized how vague and unclear it seems without explanation of 'what' types of modification made. The modification in this part is in the form of changing the informal organizational structure of the company to a more formal one; by taking on HR management personell. This business is a sole-proprietorship so the sole trader has to multitask in the management from HR to finance, but i will only be considering taking on a HR department first.

So what do you think of my research question now? does it reflect lucidly what i am trying to investigate here?

thanks for the input btw, appreciate it very much :)

• Like 1

I like what you've already explained to Kim. You see, you've already focused on the quantitative data and your research question seems excellent to me. What I was thinking was that your business is a sole-proprietorship, so I hope if you're looking at human resource then the number of workers in the business is well beyond at least 25? During my business IA, we were told by out teacher to focus on a business with at least thirty workers. It gives more accurate statistics. Also, if you're going to be looking at the number of years the workers have been working in that business, I hope it's been more than four. It also helps with accurate statistics.

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Your RQ is now good and more focused. If you're a HL student, then don't forget about the primary research and secondary research. They are both equally important. Be sure you include some theories in there like the motivational theories (if you find that the informal organisational structure does cause demotivation among the workers) etc. Also, about the number of workers there are and the accuracy of the results (what Fran mentioned in the above post), i would consult your teacher about that so that he/she can give you an estimation on the number of workers/consumers to survey, give questionnaires to etc. If you think you need any help, drop me a PM and i'll try to help as best as i can and to respond as fast as i can :)

Good luck! ^_^

• Like 1