Anthropology EE

Miles

I am in y12 and have just started thinking about the EE. I am very interested in anthropology and I plan to write my EE about a question (to be decided) to do with anthropology. Although my school does not teach the subject I have taken professionally taught courses about anthropology over the past two summers and I am feeling confident enough to do my EE in this subject area, and also mixing it with something else. (planning to do world studies)

Does anyone think this is a good idea, or should I take on a subject taught in my school?

It's up to you really. The main downside, (besides not knowing how IB Anthropology likes its essays etc. to be written, the level of analysis specific to IB and so on) would be that you wouldn't have a suitably qualified teacher at your school to help guide you about these things either. I'm assuming your school does not offer Anthropology. Without personal knowledge OR the knowledge from a teacher who knows what they're doing in terms of the IB marking scheme etc., you're going into it pretty blind.

Whether you'll do well or not is difficult to predict :P But these are the two main downsides in terms of the fact we usually encourage people to do their EE in subjects they take (or which at the very least they have a teacher qualified in teaching IB X Subject enough to help them out and make sure they go down the right lines). Different exam boards, courses etc. will teach subjects in different ways with a different emphasis, so the way you've been taught Anthropology may not be appropriate to score high marks in IB Anth.

I am in y12 and have just started thinking about the EE. I am very interested in anthropology and I plan to write my EE about a question (to be decided) to do with anthropology. Although my school does not teach the subject I have taken professionally taught courses about anthropology over the past two summers and I am feeling confident enough to do my EE in this subject area, and also mixing it with something else. (planning to do world studies)

Does anyone think this is a good idea, or should I take on a subject taught in my school?

No way! I am doing my EE in Socio Cultural Anthropology :D

But anyway, I do recommend that you should stick with a subject taught at your school because it will be less time consuming and and less stress.

I was in the exact same situation but instead I decided to do my EE in Anthro despite the risk of the subject not being taught at my school. It was a LOT of work and it is VERY HARD but it is not impossible. The reason i was so keen on doing it is because I want to study this in University.

If you do decide to write your EE in Anthro, note that the subject is SOCIAL CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY, anything outside of it, and other aspects of Anthropology such as Archeology are not acceptable. Be sure to read the criteria in the Extended Essay Guide.

There are a lot of examples for comparative essays however theoretical ones are very hard to find.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me! :D

Funny10sport

Edited by funny10sport