HL Visual ARTS

Mary Tudor

Hello Everyone!

Im a second year IB student who is going to apply for fashion designing in the near future. BUT!! My art teacher this year realized that my theme should have represented Nature/Fashion more than anything else, and after all these researches and outcome she suddenly shifted me from so what called 'personal' to 'organic' theme. I AM SO STRESSED OUT BECAUSE OF THIS. I mean I'm afraid I wont have enough time to research and produce so many outcomes in 6/7 weeks.

How can I score the highest meaning 7 for my Visual Arts now when She graded me 10/20 as an estimation for my current status. Please help me!

Thanks!!

• Like 1

I am having the same Problem as you.. I also want to do Fashion.. I am the First IB student at my school beacuse that I am have alot of hard time. As i don't know what to do. My teacher graded me at a 9/20.. maybe we can help one another . :)

• Like 1

Hello Everyone!

Im a second year IB student who is going to apply for fashion designing in the near future. BUT!! My art teacher this year realized that my theme should have represented Nature/Fashion more than anything else, and after all these researches and outcome she suddenly shifted me from so what called 'personal' to 'organic' theme. I AM SO STRESSED OUT BECAUSE OF THIS. I mean I'm afraid I wont have enough time to research and produce so many outcomes in 6/7 weeks.

How can I score the highest meaning 7 for my Visual Arts now when She graded me 10/20 as an estimation for my current status. Please help me!

Thanks!!

Hey There!

Okay so, your teacher shifting you from one theme to another? That's unheard of :/ Your IB visual arts career is supposed to be about you and your own choices, your teacher is there to merely guide you.

What I say you should do is, keep all the pieces you already have, try add an element of nature and/or fashion to them. I see you're writing in May 2013? Which means your final exhibition is most probably going to be in early April. So, you have got 5 months till April, allowing for at least 4 - 5 pieces more. (You're meant to do 1 piece a month minimum)

Now for these pieces, just focus on this Nature/Fashion theme. STICK TO IT.

(If you're a very motivated student, you can also work on more than 1 piece per month)

Also, make sure you WRITE about it in your IWB as to why exactly you decided to move to this theme.

(very important! make sure you do this!)

By your final exhibition, you're allowed to exhibit 18 pieces max. I say, choose your best 18 pieces (I had 17 for my exhibition) But, I ranged it from my first till my last to show my growth as an artist. IB really wants to see growth in the student as well.

If you need any more advice, please PM me and i'll be happy to help :)

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. Why 6/7 weeks, when in actual fact, you have months? Is this for Internal exams? If it is, don't stress too much about that as yet, your main focus is on the final exhibition.

• Like 2

I am having the same Problem as you.. I also want to do Fashion.. I am the First IB student at my school beacuse that I am have alot of hard time. As i don't know what to do. My teacher graded me at a 9/20.. maybe we can help one another . :)

Sure why not!

Jaymi's advice was valuable, did you take a look at it? Cuz that's what I'm doing right now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

yea i did.. I had another talk with one of the other art teachers at my school. she said the my IWB is not as bad, but i am missing connection. so I had designed 2 dresses in aughust to connect to that and my theam of distortion. I Thought of doing a collage dress. I would have given the stucture with the newspaper and they put images of landscapes, with cuttes and all to make it look like it is realted to my theame. Is it such a bad idea to do that.. ???

yea i did.. I had another talk with one of the other art teachers at my school. she said the my IWB is not as bad, but i am missing connection. so I had designed 2 dresses in aughust to connect to that and my theam of distortion. I Thought of doing a collage dress. I would have given the stucture with the newspaper and they put images of landscapes, with cuttes and all to make it look like it is realted to my theame. Is it such a bad idea to do that.. ???

That is a very unique theme :) Your idea has the potential to produce a strong piece. How do you plan on making the structure of the dress? With Paper mache?

Some tips to make it strong (these are just my opinions, you do not have to follow them unless you feel you want to. In the end, the piece is all about you)

- Since your theme is distortion, why don't you do 2 different sides? As in, one side of the dress can be perfect, its cohesive and its proportional. The other side of the dress can be chaos, i.e. its jutting out at awkward angles.

- Make the look of the dress elegant (almost like couture) BUT add elements to it which hint at your theme. For example, you could make a Victorian style dress but make it out of fabric where you have painted distorted images of people, animals, buildings etc. Good artists to look at are Yinka Shonibare and Picasso.

Your idea is not bad, you just need to make it grow :)

• Like 1

thx alot :)

I had done A fabric design connecting it to my on Indian culture.. but now i need to connect more work together as many before felt i had least connection between my work. So I decided to do this.. your opinion really is giving my a few ideas on what i can do..

thx ;) i am planning to give the structure's with newspaper and glue to let it be a Eco friendly design and then put on pictures or paint over it.

Edited by kelly

thx alot :)

I had done A fabric design connecting it to my on Indian culture.. but now i need to connect more work together as many before felt i had least connection between my work. So I decided to do this.. your opinion really is giving my a few ideas on what i can do..

thx ;) i am planning to give the structure's with newspaper and glue to let it be a Eco friendly design and then put on pictures or paint over it.

Good, connections to culture is a must for HL Visual Arts, as its part of the criteria :)

If you want to, you can always go back to your old pieces (but that does not mean you should neglect your new pieces) and add elements to connect the pieces. If you do this, make sure you write about this in your IWB and do your planning as to how you want to connect the elements.

Hmm, just gluing pieces of newspaper together won't really give a strong structure, it will become quite fragile. There are many ways to get a strong structure whilst remaining Eco friendly. I think you may need to do a little bit of experimentation and research on this.

• Like 1