Mathematics SL - Papers 1 & 2

Aura

If I'm not mistaken, we're now allowed to talk about these exams... did they seem easy to you? In my case, the only problem I couldn't solve was the last one of Paper 1, the one about the area under a curve being equal to ln4. But I had time left to revise things twice in both exams, so I'm quite relaxed about math :)

I found the exams absolutely fine to be honest. I'd done like 24 practice papers so maybe that had something to do with it...but yeah, I found that I could do every question - paper 1 was so good. Paper 2 was a bit harder for me but still I could do almost all of it. Felt pretty confident with my answers on both papers, so I'm feeling very happy with it.

I vaguely remember that question. k = 2 if my memory doesn't fail me.

The main issue with Paper 2 was time... I finished Paper 1 within about 45 minutes so I had lots of time to go over things and check carefully, but I took a similar approach in Paper 2 (as I was usually easily within the time limit in practice papers). In the end, I only just finished and didn't have much time to go over things, and a lot of other people noticed the difference in length too.

Two things I noticed (well that I'm losing marks in):

Paper 1 - The sin100, cos100 question; I'm not sure how many marks would be lost for not having the negative in part a) as it was in the second quadrant (that messed up all my answers for that question..)

Paper 2 - The binomial expansion question, as everyone I know took one of two methods which both seemed to work (Pascal's triangle or N c R) - I got ±0.5 with Pascal's triangle but others got ±square root of x (something along those lines) with N c R.

I vaguely remember that question. k = 2 if my memory doesn't fail me.

Yes, that was what I got too! :D

Paper 1 - The sin100, cos100 question; I'm not sure how many marks would be lost for not having the negative in part a) as it was in the second quadrant (that messed up all my answers for that question..)

Oh dear, I did that too. Not sure how many marks they would take off though - once you make the mistake you lose marks there but we'll probably still get consequential marks for pretty much getting the rest.

Ugh I did that as well :/ Yeah hoping for consequential marks there. And I found P2 more difficult than P1; like you, IB Failing, I finished P1 really early but found P2 a lot more difficult :S

Oh god, I think I missed that.

Well, just a tiny error... I actually enjoyed these exams, they were quite easy :3 In fact, I never got to finish my mock exams in time. Somehow I managed to do the actual exams really fast, in 1 hour or so o.o Maybe it happened because of the SAT practice...

Edited by Aura

i think i did alright in this exam....i had loads of time for paper 1 and a bit more than 30 minutes remaining for paper 2. I must say, paper 2 was a bit more tricky. and yeah, i think i got k = 2 too! :D i hope the grade boundaries stay the same~

Paper 1 was really easy. No comments on that one.

On the other hand, Paper 2 was an absolute hell. The last one was really difficult (i think probability?) and i messed up on almost all of the question because i got nervous. I'm actually surprised that there was no vectors in Section B of Paper 2. I hope the grade boundaries get lower for this year, at least for Paper 2. Besides that question, the rest of the paper was so-so.

On the other hand, Paper 2 was an absolute hell. The last one was really difficult (i think probability?) and i messed up on almost all of the question because i got nervous. I'm actually surprised that there was no vectors in Section B of Paper 2. I hope the grade boundaries get lower for this year, at least for Paper 2. Besides that question, the rest of the paper was so-so.

Yeah the probability question was really annoying.

I think I got most/some of it but the very very last question of it was super confusing haha.

Yeah the probability question was really annoying.

I think I got most/some of it but the very very last question of it was super confusing haha.

To be honest i think i got all of Paper 1 correct so i'm not worried about it.

On the other hand, Paper 2 was an absolute hell. Nearly everyone of the kids in my school didn't manage to solve it, so perhaps they can remove it for being too ambiguous. (Just like the Physics or Chemistry exams). Or at least make the grade boundaries lower than other years. I'm sure that they will make it a 70+ for a 7 in this Paper 2. Something to note: There was only 1 calc question and 0 vector questions. Weird.

• 1 month later...

What on earth??????? LOL i find this really interesting. I found paper 1 harder than paper 2 (and many people in my school thought so too) like i think i only got a 6 for paper 1... but then I found paper 2 quite easy!! (expecting a 7 for paper 2) like even the last question was ok, it was in fact the only question i thought i found slightly challenging, but i think i managed the most of it and could have managed it if i had like 2 more minutes...........lol........................interesting.............................

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

does anyone know if I can get this paper from somewhere?

I would like to do it for my practice as it is the most recent past paper.

If you sat this exam could those of you tell me the type of questions from the harder paper 2 exam

If think i dont have to tell you fellow IB students how it stressful this time is.

Thanks