Maths Textbooks

Guest bennyb

Guest bennyb

I dont know about anyone else, but are the maths textbooks you use way harder than what you get tested on? Our school gives us one by a guy called Fabio and its so much harder than any IB past paper ive done. I suppose thats good but what are other books like?

I dont know about anyone else, but are the maths textbooks you use way harder than what you get tested on? Our school gives us one by a guy called Fabio and its so much harder than any IB past paper ive done. I suppose thats good but what are other books like?

We use Haese and Harris publication. They do follow the IB syllabus but they are set up in a different way and also the questions used are very different from the ib exams which makes it a bit tricky. However, it has a lot of good examples and it teaches well and sort of make you have to understand the whole math concept in order to do well on the exams which is a good thing.

Really?! :lol: We use the same book (the one with the 1000 pages, right? :D ), and it's much easier compared to the real exams. I mean the questions that we get are much harder compared to the book's. :lol:

the school also gives us H& H which seems to be a lot more straightforward, but seriously the IBID is way harder than anything we've been examined on or ive seen in any past papers and ive got every past paper goin back 5 years or somethin

IBID books are pretty good. I'm doing Math HL and its well explained and the exercises are first easy, then Ib-level. My teacher loves that book. Bad thing, in Math HL, the book is printed on black and red and its annoying if you're reading. Other than that, it's worth it

do u think i should order the ibid book if i just have h+h one...cuz the problems on the h+h book look awfully easy...

We use the Haese and Harris, but nowadays we're also using the Mathematics SL For the IB Dip, by Smedley and Wiseman printed by Oxford, for Maths HL classes. I like this book better. We're also going to use the IBID book too for HL. Our teacher thinks variety is good :P

• 2 weeks later...
We're only using H&H, although i personally think its a bad book to practice with.

Do you think just studying past papers will be fine?

Just studying past papers - no. I think you need to actually learn how and why you things the way you're suppose to do ie why there is a textbook. Just studying past papers will only make you learn how to deal with the test questions but they will be different on the exams. Use both :D

Just studying past papers - no. I think you need to actually learn how and why you things the way you're suppose to do ie why there is a textbook. Just studying past papers will only make you learn how to deal with the test questions but they will be different on the exams. Use both :blush:

I agree completely since you need to learn the material/concepts and be able to apply them to different situations. For me, the papers tell me how to answer their questions

• 1 month later...
We use Haese and Harris publication. They do follow the IB syllabus but they are set up in a different way and also the questions used are very different from the ib exams which makes it a bit tricky. However, it has a lot of good examples and it teaches well and sort of make you have to understand the whole math concept in order to do well on the exams which is a good thing.

We use the same book. And i strongly dislike how misleading some of the material is. And to make things worse having a teacher that dropped out of high school algebra, doesn't help much either. However i do like that they have a book of worked out problems, we refer to it in class, it really helps you learn from your mistakes.

We Math SL don't even have textbook material for reference! On top of that, the teacher is lousy at giving notes, and expects us all to know the content! But he is a rather nice guy though... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...