Math HL vs Chem HL vs Physics HL

Undelicious

Since I take all these subjects I can give you a few ideas on what to choose

Math HL - as others have said this is a very hard course and you need a lot of time to revise, and it is highly recommended that you revise every single day. If you like math, you'll love this course like I do, and then the work won't be much of an issue, because I enjoy doing exercises so I don't mind the workload at all

Chem HL - the easiest subject out of the 3, for me at least. I just do all of the worksheets that we get (we get a lot) and pay attention in class and I get high grades, but I heard it gets harder later on

Physics HL - I joined this class a month late, so this might affect my answer a bit, but not much. It's not as hard as math HL and doesn't usually need more time than math (sometimes you may need to revise more physics than math though) It's not as easy as chemistry, I'm finding some topics a bit hard to grasp but my teacher does a good job at explaining all of it, but you do need time to think about the problems and know everything about the lesson.

I can't really tell you what to choose because that depends on what you want to do, if you take your favorite subjects that you enjoy working on it won't be that much of a problem.

Note that I am only 3 months into the IB ,therefore my judgement on the difficulty of the course is not accurate at all because I have no idea how hard the coming topics are going to be.

I feel like it's definitely going to depend on your preferences and the difficulty of your teach in general.

To contrary opinion, I find Chem HL to be the hardest of the three but that may be due to a lack of a good base in that subject. I'm more a numbers guy and not good at conceptual information.

I find Math HL to be very manageable, but hard work no doubt.

I'm still confused about Physics HL; I don't know if it's easy or hard yet. It's been a little of both.

Id say if you can do Maths HL because it has the transferable skills which you could use for any course, eg Law - people think good at maths = good at logical thinking etc.

As for a science HL I would advise taking the science you enjoy the most. I prefer physics over chemistry so I chose physics, and because I generally motivate myself more with Physics I tend to do better in physics. You're more likely to spend more time or actually enjoy/ pay more attention in a subject you're interested as opposed to one you are not interested in.

Also it depends on how ace your calculation and memorization skills are Im not good at remembering stuff ergo things like biology and psychology are impossible for me. However I like calculating so I prefer mathsy subjects.

Chemistry is a bit of both memorizing and mathsy calculation stuff, but mostly memorizing.

Whilst physics is more calculations logic not so much memorization. You have to understand the concepts of curse but that's not what I mean by memorizing.

In chemistry there's this whole 'Organic Chemistry' chapter which is like learning a language within science. Absolute torture. You have to memorize the vocab and apply everything to the questions. First you have to have the ability to translate the text into layman's terms via deciphering, hope you deciphered well and answer.

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1

Id say if you can do Maths HL because it has the transferable skills which you could use for any course, eg Law - people think good at maths = good at logical thinking etc.

As for a science HL I would advise taking the science you enjoy the most. I prefer physics over chemistry so I chose physics, and because I generally motivate myself more with Physics I tend to do better in physics. You're more likely to spend more time or actually enjoy/ pay more attention in a subject you're interested as opposed to one you are not interested in.

Also it depends on how ace your calculation and memorization skills are Im not good at remembering stuff ergo things like biology and psychology are impossible for me. However I like calculating so I prefer mathsy subjects.

Chemistry is a bit of both memorizing and mathsy calculation stuff, but mostly memorizing.

Whilst physics is more calculations logic not so much memorization. You have to understand the concepts of curse but that's not what I mean by memorizing.

In chemistry there's this whole 'Organic Chemistry' chapter which is like learning a language within science. Absolute torture. You have to memorize the vocab and apply everything to the questions. First you have to have the ability to translate the text into layman's terms via deciphering, hope you deciphered well and answer.

i guess i was a little unclear in the beginning. At our school, we decide our HL in the second year of ib. So i have already completed one year of IB.

So i have already finished the organic chemistry chapter and tbh, the key to it was memorize memorize memorize, which is a strength of mine. That made organic chem pretty easy for me. I can see where you are coming from though because a lot of people at my school were crying over it which i struggled to understand.

I find math sl to be very very simple. We did the core topics this year. and i really aced it. Like i literally perfect scored in every test, assignment and final exam except for like a couple where i got 99% (shock horror i know lol ) although the only stuff we got were SL questions which are very straightforward. So i think a 7 would be a reasonable expectation if i did SL maths.

Physics is confusing me. The mechanics topic was a struggle for me. I understood the concepts reasonable well but i couldnt apply them properly in exam style questions. Similar problem with the waves chapter. However, the thermal and thermaldynamics (HL topic i know) were very easy for me. So im not sure what to expect if i did HL physics

I would say it depends on you what to do... Math HL is definitely the hardest amongst these but probably will help the most in uni and stuff. It is also very difficult to get a 7 in chemistry... I would say go for Math HL and Physics HL (those are my subjects, and i'm coping pretty well) Unless you want to be a doctor or something med related do chemistry HL

If you decide to do Math HL, then you should do Physics HL since you will benefit from it in the long run as you will become better at solving problems. However from the other perspective, if you decide to take Physics HL you don't have to do Math HL. Depending on which alternative you choose, you can then easily decide if you want to take Chem at HL or SL.

Take care!

/ Adam