When should you take higher level?

alexwhy

Hello,

I'm wondering when taking a higher level subject in IB would be better than taking a standard level. I believe you would have to have high marks, but I'm not sure how high.

Slightly off topic, I'm in HL math this year, and I'm making better marks than last year (when I was in SL math) which is strange.

I chose my highers based on intuition.

When I was talking to my teacher about my subject choices, I was rather bored. No real idea what I wanted to do with my subject choices. But something weird happened. Really weird.

My teacher mentioned history and boom I heard gunshots all around me. I heard the celebrations of VE day coupled with the cheers of "Victory victory!". But I also heard the screams and cries of people stuck in gulags and trenches. History just unfolded in front of my eyes. It was inspiring and I quickly shouted "Sir! I want want to study the past!"

It was overwhelming. It was wonderful. It was beautiful.

That's how I decided to pick history HL. SL just doesn't cut it for me.

I agree with the above posts. It's just something you know you will enjoy. Perhaps the reason you're doing better in HL math is because you weren't getting challenged enough in SL, so it bored you.

Also, I don't know if this matters much to you, but often universities will accept HL credits and not SL credits based on your test scores.

Also it depends on what course you want to study and where. You should always check the University's subject requirements for HL if they have some.

Also if you want to study in a foreign country and you are applying, you should check whether they have general subject requirements. Countries like germany for example, which specifies you to study two languages. A foreign language as "Language A" or "Language B HL". Which means one of your HLs would be predeternmined if you can't do a foreign language A.

http://www.ibo.org/country/universities_rec.cfm?country_code=Germany&current_country=DE

Other than that as has been said before choose a subject you'll enjoy. It's generally easier to stay commited to a subject you enjoy. Or you could be really cunning and pick subjects you find easy and play to your strengths.