Is this article fine for a microeconomics commentary?

Hello,

Just took a look at the article. It seems fine, it is in fact from a news media source. I'm guessing you'll be analyzing and evaluated on the topic of Government Intervention - subsidies and tax to be specific (which one?).

A problem I see with the article is that it might state what you'll be able to analyze once: "The government had recently hiked the price of diesel by Rs 5.63 per litre and put a cap on supply of subsidised LPG to six cylinders per household in a year. Both the decisions have resulted in large scale protest from public as well as political parties."

And most of it is in the past tense and does a lot of the evaluating for you (which will get you points off).

Since this is an IA, I would try to choose another article on the same subject that might give more information rather than evaluation.

Look for one that is 1-2 pages long, as my teacher would recommend.

Cheers

DK

Just to add on what @thedarkknight is saying:

Short articles can be very good also. Try finding something that is very concise in what it is saying where it is clear what is happening. I remember I had a practice commentary on externalities that was going to be cut off by a tax and the article was less than 300 words.

The pitfall with the long articles is that they contain too much information which are sometimes covering too many economic concepts, which is not suited for a commentary. The commentary and the article should be "well-focused" (put in the terms of how IBO is describing EE Research Questions, rofl) so that you can properly analyse what the article is saying within the 750 word limit.

Short articles can be very good also. Try finding something that is very concise in what it is saying where it is clear what is happening. I remember I had a practice commentary on externalities that was going to be cut off by a tax and the article was less than 300 words.

totally agree - I prefer to work on shorter articles that just give figures (what was cut, how much, who cut it and why) becuase they don't try to explain the economics behind it - after all it's your job

Hello,

Just took a look at the article. It seems fine, it is in fact from a news media source. I'm guessing you'll be analyzing and evaluated on the topic of Government Intervention - subsidies and tax to be specific (which one?).

A problem I see with the article is that it might state what you'll be able to analyze once: "The government had recently hiked the price of diesel by Rs 5.63 per litre and put a cap on supply of subsidised LPG to six cylinders per household in a year. Both the decisions have resulted in large scale protest from public as well as political parties."

And most of it is in the past tense and does a lot of the evaluating for you (which will get you points off).

Since this is an IA, I would try to choose another article on the same subject that might give more information rather than evaluation.

Look for one that is 1-2 pages long, as my teacher would recommend.

Cheers

DK

Thanks for the feedback!

Would this be better??

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/business/17-Dec-2012/greeks-slash-household-heat-as-fuel-prices-rise

The pitfall with the long articles is that they contain too much information which are sometimes covering too many economic concepts, which is not suited for a commentary. The commentary and the article should be "well-focused" (put in the terms of how IBO is describing EE Research Questions, rofl) so that you can properly analyse what the article is saying within the 750 word limit.

Very true, clear and concise is what you are looking for. They say for the IA that you may only analyze one part of an article, but often one part of an article is simply too little information.

I looked at your new article and to me at least, it seems like there's a bit too much going on, not clear and concise on one thing. You could probably come up with something with it, but you should find a clearer focus.

Take a look at this example article that I found a while back that is very to the point on one of my evaluation papers:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/10/news/economy/farmers-cows-candy-feed/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

Basically, the analysis was on this:

Substitutes goods in demand.

The main component however of an IA is the evaluation.

In the evaluation, I try to include these things:

When looking at an article, try to consider these things.

• evaluate the effects of the concept/theory on different stakeholders (households, firms, govenrment, etc)
  • make sure both short-term and long-term consequences are considered
  • costs and benefits of the policy or action
  • make a judgment on the relative importance of the concept or theory, the merits and de-merits of the policy
  • look for advantages and disadvantages of the policy or action
  • possible problems with the theory
  • is the data reliable? Can it be questioned?

If you make it through another round mate, at decide to look for another article. Tell me what specifically you might be analyzing in the article. That way it will be easier for me to identify whether you should go through with it or not.

Hope this helped,

DK

• 2 weeks later...

@DarkKnight

Is this article that you found about cows legit for IA from MICROECONOMICS?

And if it is, can I use it for my commentary...

Thank you

EDIT: I found another one. But thanks for info that you wrote DarkKnight

Edited by merga