World Literature Paper- Chronicle of a Death Foretold Topic, need help

Hellobox

So, I need to think of a world literature topic that needs to be REALLY specific according to my teacher. It cannot be something very general like "How the death of Santiago Nasar affected the townspeople(before and after his death)." This was disapproved by my teacher saying it was just a plot summary and I needed a thesis. In grade 10 where I had a teacher that rarely made us work, has lowered my level to write. So I'm not quite sure how to do this, (we didn't really write anything this year either).

What I was thinking for a topic for my World Lit paper would be either these 3:

-Revenge as a proper and improper action

-Emotions of Santiago Nasar during his murder

-The isolation of Sucre that lead to their rock solid cultural views (girls need to keep their virginity until they marry and all that)(Never had a chance to see other views)

I'm actually taking a break from writing my World Lit paper right now... (on One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich)

I don't feel qualified to give you advice on the third option (We read the book in class but I don't remember Sucre)

I can tell you that your second topic is probably too narrow. Although the murder was mentioned many times throughout the text, it only actually happened once. You may find yourself struggling to come up with 1,500 words on that topic.

I do think that your first option has promise.

Good Luck!

ok thanks, I'll try the revenge one. Do you have an example of how I cant write it out? Just a general explanation would be fine. I'm quite stuck of thinking how to write this world lit paper as well

I'm actually taking a break from writing my World Lit paper right now... (on One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich)

I don't feel qualified to give you advice on the third option (We read the book in class but I don't remember Sucre)

I can tell you that your second topic is probably too narrow. Although the murder was mentioned many times throughout the text, it only actually happened once. You may find yourself struggling to come up with 1,500 words on that topic.

I do think that your first option has promise.

Good Luck!

All three of your topics are pretty rough around the edges at the moment.

I would suggest you think of your RQ in one of the following formats.

#1 To what extent did X affect Y in Z book?

#2 What is the importance of X literary feature in the context of Y in Z book?

Of course there are many variations of the above two questions depending the specifics of your research, but you have to think of it in terms of an idea and then limiting an idea.

If you pick, say, the emotions of Nasar, then pick which kind of emotion and how it affected something - the plot development; the theme of something; etc.

You get the idea?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...