Need some things cleared up about IB

Guest SoulSnipeR999

Guest SoulSnipeR999

I am currently in grade 8, and have already signed up for the IB program (Ontario, Canada).

I'm confused how the pre-IB years work; will I be participating in the same classes as regular high school students and have my grades monitored to see if I qualify for IB? Or will be in separate rooms with other IB students doing different material than regular high school students?

Also, is it possible to finish grade 10 English during the grade 9 summer and have a spare during the school year?

Thanks in advance :)

Well a lot of what you asked depends on your individual school (grade 10 English in summer of grade 9)... Pre-IB may depend on where you are.. I am in the States and right now I have mostly normal classes with a couple pre-IB classes. For instance I have English and math with all other students, but my Science is compacted into 1 semester of pre-IB physics and another of pre-IB chemistry. As for grade qualification I assume you need to have A levels in most classes. (you certainly cannot be failing). For the first 2 years you will be in classes with everyone else (most likely) then in grade 11 an 12 you will go to a mostly if not all IB schedule with just IB students... I could be wrong but that's just how it is for me.

Guest SoulSnipeR999

That makes sense, but I assume there must be some sort of higher education in grade 9 and 10 because my family will have to pay around $500 per year for grade 9 and 10, while regular high school is free.

What you've asked depends highly on your own school, you should contact someone like the head of your year group, or the IB coordinator. They should be able to give you some more information.

Our school didn't really do anything, really - they just organized students in to 'sets' based on ability (mathematics and science only), and to take mathematics as an example, if you got a B or lower in Mathematics Extended (for example) on the GCSE, you wouldn't be allowed to take Mathematics HL at IB, and I don't think the sets had anything to do with it (I was in the 2nd bottom set, got an A* on the GCSE, and now take Mathematics HL, LOL.)

As well as that, you needed a minimum of 5 C or higher grades at GCSE in order to be qualified for the IB.

And our school definitely doesn't allow summer course stuff, but you're allowed to take GCSE examinations again.

Also, if your school is big enough, that kind of separation could be possible, but our school leads about 97%+ of students on to the IB, so we didn't need that kind of separation.

Edited by unicornication

I'm not sure how it would work there - without knowing the procedures of your school we can share but anecdotal evidence - but personally I signed up for the IB very recently, within the last 2 months, had my academic profile reviewed, and was accepted to start the IB next semester. I'm not doing any pre-IB classes, but you should be in the top stream of you school's courses if courses are streamed. If your school is offering pre-IB, it seems that the way you have suggested would be the way they would be most likely to do it, but without speaking to someone, we can't know for sure.

In my area, we had to write an essay in a set amount of time so that our writing skills could be assessed, and then we had to have a required score on mathematics and reading on a test we had taken earlier in the year. We were then enrolled into our classes with those only participating in Pre-IB, so we were pretty.. secluded. Almost none of my classes are with other than those doing the programme, and for the classes that do have upperclassmen/underclassmen and what not, they happen to be mandatory classes like health or drivers ed. It's also free the first two years, since our community instilled a penny tax on certain items in order to fund certain things. Once we get into the real programme, however, we pay around $500 every year.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm just finishing my Pre-IB program this year, also in Ontario.

All schools may be different, but at ours we had a similar fee system.

We have all our classes (except electives like tech, intro to business, and phys ed) separate from regular classes. There is an IB class for subjects like art, drama, math, science, french, english, geography, history, etc. The Pre-IB classes are still based on the Ontario curriculum, but are slightly modified to help prepare you for the IB program. There is more homework, a slightly faster pace of teaching, and some additional concepts introduced (although you will not be tested on this), In science, for example, we did more lab write-ups, and were introduced to how IB expects them to be done.

The idea is to prepare you better for IB1 and IB2, while staying inline with Ontario's curriculum.

Hope this helped :')

Edited by Solembur