IOP help

We're not going to come up with a topic for you. You can't be lazy forever. To begin, think about themes, characterization, symbols, literary features, language, author's style, etc within each of those novels and pick one that you like. You can either do your IOP on one of the works or on both (if the theme/symbol/etc appears in both in some way). It might be easier to focus on just one novel, but I did my IOP comparing/contrasting a topic in two novels and I had no problem. Once you've picked something, go through the book and note several examples where it happens. In your IOP, unless it's changed significantly which I believe it hasn't, you'll just want to present your topic and deliver literary analysis, which just means explore the topic, explain it, and show why it's important to the novel.

You shouldn't pick something that won't give you a lot to talk about since it needs to last between 10 and 15 minutes, but don't pick something so broad that you're rushing to fit everything in. When you practice at home alone in front of a mirror you'll talk at a normal pace, but if you're like most people when you get in front of your class to present your IOP you'll talk just a bit faster, so adjust for time. You might even get scared and pause which will add time, so practice a few times, write down some notes on a note card, and take a deep breath. The IOP's not that hard and this is coming from someone who's not that strong at literature.

Good luck and score well :)

• Like 3