Hi, I need a little help on my extended essay topic for history

aleares

Hello everyone!

I am trying to get ahead start on my extended essay and really want to chose a topic so I can begin this long journey. I am really interested in writing about greek mythology and its affect on ancient greece, the influence of Greek mythology on the modern world, or something of the sort. Maybe even the something about the Trojan War. but I'm not sure exactly how to come up with a good topic.

If anyone can please share any ideas they have and help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

and share your extended essay topic too please! its always interesting to know people's topics and can lead to inspiration!

thanks!

I think of those three topics you listed, the only one that would be viable to do would be something on the Trojan War. With an extended essay, your topic must be one hundred percent rooted in one subject, and your other topics (at least to me) seem to delve into things like world religions, which is bad. When it comes to picking an EE topic, you want it to be narrow enough that you can write 4000 words on it, but not too narrow that you can't find any sources and can only write 2000 words on it and get stuck. We can't think of a topic for you, but work with that.

Think about what interests you about the Trojan War. A lot of history EEs will either explore the causes of the event (what long term causes/short term causes/how much did X cause the Trojan War), something that took place in the event that led to its outcome (to what extent did Y cause the outcome of the Trojan War), the role of a person in the event, or how the Trojan War was a precursor for something else (to what extent did the Trojan War influence X to occur/bring about Y, lead to Z, etc). Once you've come up with a suitable topic, find sources. Try to get both primary and secondary sources, but with your topic it might be hard to find primary sources. Just focus on finding the best sources for your topic.

I did my EE on the Spanish Civil War and my topic specifically was "to what extent did foreign intervention from Germany and Italy lead to the victory of Francisco Franco and the Nationalists?" I picked a topic I liked and it was not that bad to research/write, and I ended up with an A.

• Like 1

I'm not going to knock off anything Emy Glau-ski had said because, all of this is right advice. Just one small thing:

I think of those three topics you listed, the only one that would be viable to do would be something on the Trojan War. With an extended essay, your topic must be one hundred percent rooted in one subject, and your other topics (at least to me) seem to delve into things like world religions, which is bad. When it comes to picking an EE topic, you want it to be narrow enough that you can write 4000 words on it, but not too narrow that you can't find any sources and can only write 2000 words on it and get stuck. We can't think of a topic for you, but work with that.

You can easily avoid your topic becoming conflicted with different subject areas by analysing things like divine intervention from an historical perspective. So keeping the Trojan War in mind: to what extent was divine intervention from Aries attributed as a cause for the fall of Troy in the Trojan War? Something like that where you treat the mythology as a contributing cause in the minds of the warriors and armies and you could pull it off. It would also be a really interesting EE, in my opinion.

Edited by Arrowhead

You can easily avoid your topic becoming conflicted with different subject areas by analysing things like divine intervention from an historical perspective. So keeping the Trojan War in mind: to what extent was divine intervention from Aries attributed as a cause for the fall of Troy in the Trojan War? Something like that where you treat the mythology as a contributing cause in the minds of the warriors and armies and you could pull it off. It would also be a really interesting EE, in my opinion.

I definitely see your take on it, and if you can spin your research question into something like that then I don't think it'd be a problem. You just have to be a bit careful, IB is can be kind of a pain in the butt sometimes :P Just the way it was worded in the question confused me a bit and it was quite late when I responded haha.

• 1 month later...

Im sorry this is so late, I've been very bus lately! (of course with IB haha)

But I definitely want to thank you guys for your great help and advice!

Unfortunately my EE advisor is being a little bit difficult about the topic since he says it isnt really about history. but oh well im still fighting for it because I would really love this topic!

thank you guys again! :blowkiss::clap: