Why is Rap music censored?

Luka Petrovic

Either buying on iTunes or a physical album, we've seen the infamous "Parental advisory. explicit content" labels. The commonly cited reason for this, and the reasons that helped this legislation pass in court was the immoral and derogatory language. Ultimately the question is, is this the only reason? Rap being a huge part of an american sub-culture some would say has to plays a role. As 2pac once said...

"They tryin to keep me out

Try to censor what I say

cause they don't like what I'm talkin bout

So what's wrong with the media today?"

~Tupac

Edited by Luka Petrovic

I'm not a music expert, but I'd say if the profane language isn't the only reason, it's probably the most important reason, as the unique language in some rap music is the one thing that sets it apart from other music that isn't censored. If you think about it, the language is the only thing that would make music censored. Have you ever heard of music without lyrics being censored?

The language in music gives rise to ideas that influence whomever is listening. The reason why some rap music is censored (and perhaps other music in general) isn't really because of the language itself, it is the influence language has on the audience. Younger audiences tend to misinterpret or misunderstand what artists are actually expressing, and instead only taking in the words and profanity(and who knows what this might lead to in the future). Such a result isn't really desirable in a society, hence censorship is placed.

...pretty sure it's just because there are swear words in it and parents who don't want their kids to learn to use swear words in common day language (as on the songs) can that way be warned. On the radio, those same songs just have rude words beeped out. I don't really understand what you're trying to give as an alternative reason...?? Find a rap CD which doesn't have profane stuff on it BUT which has been censored on the radio or has a sticker advising parents that it might be rude, and then maybe there's some random prejudice, but I've never heard of such a thing.

It's not like it applies just to rap songs, all sorts of songs are censored. Genre is irrelevant if it has swearing in it - just it's more common for rappers to stick in as many profanities as can be rhymed in, it seems. Kinda understandable when otherwise it might be more like this...

Well the point is that music is an expression of culture, the themes, issues and yes even language in rap music reflects the culture is originates from. So by censoring it, you are losing the message and suppressing the view or way of life of people. The point of the Tupac quote is that why its censors, is because people don't understand what the music is really about

But surely you can just listen to an uncensored version if you're not under the age of whatever point parents think they need to intervene? I don't buy censored rap music to listen to, I buy normal versions. After 9PM or whatever, they play normal versions.

It seems kind-of dim to me to suggest that we remove all censorship on profane language on the grounds of 'preserving culture'. The point of censoring profane language is not to reduce cultural contribution but to prevent kids being subjected to loads of profanity on the radio, and that's pretty clear.

What I think your trying to say is that the government is trying to censor music that is against their agenda. Whilst this may be true in some countries, in the case of the majority of the people on this forum, it isn't. Acccording to your flag, which is cannadian, I assume that it isn't there either.

This censorship is designed to prevent younger children listening to 'bad words', etc. It is not designed to prevent people listening to anti-government messages. Remember, most people who care about these political messages (i.e. adults) can easily get their hand on the music, as it is censored for CHILDREN ONLY. Even teens can get the music easily enough, if they want to. It isn't really censorship, at least in the way your suggesting.

It's basically the same as saying violent, rude, etc. video games and movies, should be accessable to everyone, whatever their age.

Further, their are many rap songs, without swearing, that contain political messages, that are leagal. Just as their are normal (non-rap) songs that have been censored, for various reasons.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is because of the government, it is impossible to understand the in depth message of revolution, government corruption and not to mention beauty without the swear words. Therefore people remain voiceless and naive.