Dispositional and Situational Factors

The Rainbow Connection

Hello all,

I'm currently writing my socio-cultural LOA notes and was wondering what an appropriate study would be for the point:

"describe the role of situational and dispositional factors in explaining behaviour"

Would it be appropriate to use Ross et al. 1977 despite the fact that it explains the fundamental attribution error? Or would it be better off using Zimbardo's prison experiment (1971)

Thanks!

Edited by The Rainbow Connection

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it depends on how you link it into the question. In the right context it could work well, but *explain* what relevance it has.

I'd say start with defining dispositional and situational factors, then move on to giving a general example of each (not necessarily from a study). Then, make a clear remark like "When too much weight is put on either dispositional or situational factors in explaining the cause of behavior, errors in attribution occur. These include the Fundamental Attribution Error and Self-Serving Bias." Then you can go on to talk about Lee (1977) (Alternatively called Ross, Amabile & Steinmetz) and also the Lau and Russel (1980) study.

• Like 2