IA topic selection

billz270

hey,

can you guy please help me find an east to do, quick to submit topic for my math ia

easy to do**

Edited by Sandwich
Please type words out in full, do not use chatspeak please. Also if you wish to change a previous post, note that there is an Edit function! Thanks.

Hey there!

The rules of this forum (and IBO) clearly states that we cannot do the job for you. If we were to give you an idea, and you based your whole IA on that very idea, you could be accused for plagiarism and lose your diploma altogether. In order to prevent that happen (because we want you to obtain the diploma), we won't give you any ideas unless you yourself show that you have thoroughly thought about the task (and then present your ideas to us). If that was the case, we could help you improve your ideas and methodology.

A good way to start thinking about a topic is to research things you like. Are you interested in [thing A], you could find a measurement of [thing A] over time. Then you could develop a hypothesis where you, for instance, claim that [thing B] affects [thing A]. Then you collect data for [thing B] as well. And voilà, you have a project. Feel free to add a third element as well.

there are no such thing as an 'easy' IA in maths, as you have to apply both sophisticated and simple maths. However, if you choose a topic you personally like, then it will seem much easier than if you choose a topic you dread.

If you have any ideas, I suggest that you post them here in this thread, and we can actually help you. Furthermore, read the text and assessment criteria which can be found in the subject guide. Also read the pinned thread in this forum with name 'A detailed guide by criteria.'

Good luck!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i;ve thought of a pretty crappy topic, but i think you guys can help me improve it.

If i flip a coin, how many people will choose heads, and how many people will choose tails?

Now that i thought of one. Please help me improvise it. I'm in math studies, so help me out according to that league. :)

thanks

To me it seems like you just made up a topic right now to get help. Not a very good thing to do, if you ask me.

Why do you want to do something on that very topic? Are you even interested in this? What's your general plan? How are you going to collect data? What's your hypothesis? Which sophisticated processes are you planning to perform?

You are still not showing the reflection that is required for us to help you. You need to address the questions above, and any other details you may have, for us to actually help you. As I said, right now it just seems like you made up a topic (a crappy one indeed) to get an idea to work on. Have you read the subject guide and pinned topics yet? If not, read them.

Don't expect us to do your job for you. Figure out what makes your question crappy, and alter that to make it better.

• Like 1

Hi, although I can't suggest an alternative, I'll give a clue by saying WHY that topic would be crappy...

There's no hypothesis! You at least need to base it on something. Now, flipping a coin is a bad idea because it is 50/50 and delves into probability when I'm assuming you're probably doing a stats coursework. Just to remind you of some of the processes your topic needs to lend itself to mathematically:

- Finding means/averages

- A least squares line of linear regression

- A Chi Squared Calc Test (and therefore a hypothesis of Factor X affects Factor Y, whereas at the moment you only have factor Y)

- A Pearson's Correlation Coefficient.

Those are just a few examples. You'll also want to visually display the data via Box plots, Test for Outliers, Scatter Graph. Tell me one thing you notice about Scatter Graphs - it is two factors plotted against each other!

So, start with a topic where two things may or may not correlate. To give an example (and to completely signpost it, this is NOT a suggestion as it is what I did for MY coursework, please do not use it as you will be accused of plagiarism), my coursework was 'to what extent does population size affect military size?' I gathered recent data for both: population size and military size for about 50 countries. I then could do my maths processes. Average population/military... a scatter graph... a box plot with test for outliers... a least squares linear regression line... a chi squared calc test, all that stuff.

So, it is as simple as thinking of a topic that interests you. My advice would be to think outside of maths - flipping a coin was probably just used here so that you could think of the easiest maths- kind of thing and put it down here. Don't try to fool the people here, they aren't idiots :P but I know you want help, so my advice to begin with is to think what interests you, and see if you can find a factor that might affect another factor.

Good luck! Will help you refine it further when you've done that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...