Stopping the Extended Essay

thebrownindianguy

Oh sorry guys, i meant for the next IB batch, so that would be in 2014. I guess i forgot to mention that in the prev post.

If it starts with the 2014 batch, definitely not. The current IB1 class are working on their EEs right now, and part of the appeal (or torture) of the IB diploma is its EE so I doubt they would get rid of it.

I don't think this is going to happen. The Extended Essay is very essential to the IB's success and acceptance in universities as it is one of the few truly international programs in which the students produce a full-blown research essay. That makes the IB very attractive for universities and also makes the IBO want to keep the Extended Essay as it gives them credibility in universities. TOK Essay is neither going to be removed as in almost every university there is some basic courses in knowledge theory, science theory or 'philosophy of science' or so that one has to take and therefore it prepares us pretty well to tackle such things later on. One example of this is that in my country, until 2010 if one had done the IB Diploma and passed TOK one didn't have to do those knowledge and scientific theory courses one would otherwise.

I doubt they are getting rid of the Extended Essay, as it would hurt the IBO's credibility and also the overall credibility of the IB Diploma-program. I even doubt that it would benefit the students as the time spent of the Extended Essay is really not that many hours and those hours spent studying would probably not be spent studying or at least improve students grades marginally.

Edited by dniviE
  • Like 1

I don't think this is going to happen. The Extended Essay is very essential to the IB's success and acceptance in universities as it is one of the few truly international programs in which the students produce a full-blown research essay. That makes the IB very attractive for universities and also makes the IBO want to keep the Extended Essay as it gives them credibility in universities. TOK Essay is neither going to be removed as in almost every university there is some basic courses in knowledge theory, science theory or 'philosophy of science' or so that one has to take and therefore it prepares us pretty well to tackle such things later on. One example of this is that in my country, until 2010 if one had done the IB Diploma and passed TOK one didn't have to do those knowledge and scientific theory courses one would otherwise.

I doubt they are getting rid of the Extended Essay, as it would hurt the IBO's credibility and also the overall credibility of the IB Diploma-program. I even doubt that it would benefit the students as the time spent of the Extended Essay is really not that many hours and those hours spent studying would probably not be spent studying or at least improve students grades marginally.

Talking about EE being essential for acceptance in universities...Universities here in Switzerland require credits from 32 to as high as 38 points without bonus points lol so for people here doing IB and thinking of going to Swiss university is pretty much useless :/

Edited by shad0wboss