Economics Commentary Definitions and Explanations (URGENT)

Hi there guys,

1. Is it okay if I will copy paste definitions from economics textbook for my definitions and pretty much of my explanations (but I will still of course relate it to the article) ?

should I use citation/ footnotes?

2. Should I explain every single component in the diagram as part of the analysis to achieve full marks? (e.g. why is that MSB curve is located under MPB curve in negative consumption externality)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Brenda Wijaya
  • Like 1

It is okay that you are using definitions and explanations from the IB Economics textbook you have, but you have to remember to cite them (in a footnote) unless you'll be failed due to plagiarism. Just remember to par-phrase or put it into your own words so that it isn't that obvious - after all there is not that many ways you can give a definition of economic concepts. Just try to make it your own at least.

Yes, you should be aiming at explaining the components in the diagram as part of the analysis.

• Like 1

It is okay that you are using definitions and explanations from the IB Economics textbook you have, but you have to remember to cite them (in a footnote) unless you'll be failed due to plagiarism. Just remember to par-phrase or put it into your own words so that it isn't that obvious - after all there is not that many ways you can give a definition of economic concepts. Just try to make it your own at least.

Yes, you should be aiming at explaining the components in the diagram as part of the analysis.

Hmm, so if I choose to paraphrase from the textbook definition, should I still do footnoting and citation? Or is it already not considered as 'plagiarism'?

Thanks! :)

If you are writing the definitions as they are in the textbook you should be citing them in a footnote. Again, with economic concepts it is hard to put the words differently. However, you should be explaining the concepts in your own words so to speak. The definitions are not that important in the whole of the commentary, but they should be correct and if taken from a book or so it should be cited. What really counts is that you don't plagiarise any of the parts in which you are supposed to do independent analysis on.

• Like 1

Anything, even paraphrased, should be cited as it is not from your own knowledge, you are basically giving credit to the person/book/website for providing you with knowledge. IMO most of the things (a theory, a definition etc) should be cited as it's not yours but you know it from somewhere else.

• Like 1