Frustrated with Maths HL

fufufuufufufufuuu

So I recently have gotten my Semester 1 results.

I got

Maths HL 4

Business HL 6

Economics HL 6

Malay A1 SL 6

English B SL 5

Bio SL 6

I'm feeling very down about maths lately. My teacher's extremely strict and really wants us to be independent unlike this another teacher who guide her students very well. I've been working so hard lately, and there has come to a point thaat I start to worry about maths.

I intend to do accounting and finance. All my Maths SL friends mostly got 35 above.. I'm so jealous :( I'm worried if my teacher don't predict me a 5 or 6.. Most unis in UK wants 666 for HL. My maths teacher is very scary and I'm worried she won't predict me at least 5 or 6. Which means if she won't, I won't be able to apply unis.. I wish I could switch to maths SL but it's too late since I only take 3HLs.. I just want to be able to further my studies.. Right now I'm exhausted with music club practice which we have been practicing for 2 months all day and night. I've been working hard, but I keep getting low marks. Right now I'm having a high fever and I just feel like dying and I cn't take this anymore.. What should I do..

Keep you head up! Do you love maths? I would personally recommend getting a group of students together who feel the same way you do, and then go and sit down to talk to your teacher face to face. Perhaps he or she can help tutor you on certain days of the week, or maybe a group of students can get together at certain points in the week and review. Whether or not she's scary, you need the good grade and no one can dispute that. Most teachers are willing to work with their students, and if you can, go talk to the other teacher that helps her students (o maybe talk to your counselor?) and ask her to help you figure out what type of habits and whatnot you need to succeed. Just remember: take a deep breath; built up stress won't help to raise your grade.

Oh and since you are sick, I would recommend taking a few quiet days to go over each topic thoroughly so that you understand each topic to the core, and don't forget to relax :). Don't be afraid to bug your teachers as well! They should be there to help you! I'm sorry I can't offer anything more, especially since I don't know your teacher, but good luck! Hopefully some of the other posters on here can help.

Keep you head up! Do you love maths? I would personally recommend getting a group of students together who feel the same way you do, and then go and sit down to talk to your teacher face to face. Perhaps he or she can help tutor you on certain days of the week, or maybe a group of students can get together at certain points in the week and review. Whether or not she's scary, you need the good grade and no one can dispute that. Most teachers are willing to work with their students, and if you can, go talk to the other teacher that helps her students (o maybe talk to your counselor?) and ask her to help you figure out what type of habits and whatnot you need to succeed. Just remember: take a deep breath; built up stress won't help to raise your grade.

Oh and since you are sick, I would recommend taking a few quiet days to go over each topic thoroughly so that you understand each topic to the core, and don't forget to relax :). Don't be afraid to bug your teachers as well! They should be there to help you! I'm sorry I can't offer anything more, especially since I don't know your teacher, but good luck! Hopefully some of the other posters on here can help.

I'm just afraid I won't be able to apply to any uni because most unis need 5 or 6.. I'm not being negative.. just thinking about possibilities

give yourself some time. Try to pinpoint the mistakes you are making and talk to your teacher or IB coordinator for help

don't be so negative because there is still time till you get your predicted grades

just work really really hard on the parts you are finding difficult (esp. during these Chinese New Year Holidays) and you'll hopefully be back on track :)

• Like 1

give yourself some time. Try to pinpoint the mistakes you are making and talk to your teacher or IB coordinator for help

don't be so negative because there is still time till you get your predicted grades

just work really really hard on the parts you are finding difficult (esp. during these Chinese New Year Holidays) and you'll hopefully be back on track :)

thankyou.. I've regained some motivation.. I think my problem is I worry and panic too much. Thanks :D

thankyou.. I've regained some motivation.. I think my problem is I worry and panic too much. Thanks :D

I started IB off 3 weeks ago and I had the same feeling of worry and panic for the first three days

feeling much relaxed now =) Very pleased you feel better

PS never forget the fact that you are taking HL Maths understanding it's probably the toughest IB course means that you're super smart :)

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I absolutely understand how you feel. I am doing MAth HL now, and just like you, I am very depressed, and scared about my math. I try hard to follow in class and to understand, but I don't know.. Lately, my grades are constantly very mediocre (Not proud of that at all.. -.-'). I tried to figure out why. You are scared of your teacher. My teacher is the kind of person who will make you feel stupid when you ask a question, and since I am sitting with the smart people, when I ask questions, both the teacher, and them stare at me like I don't belong in HL. It's very frustrating. :urgh: Besides, my teacher really doesn't explain enough. And follows the pace of the smartest, who understand the most, leaving the rest behind.

But don't give up now. I know it might be very VERY hard to keep trying. I have been so tempted lately to join SL since I am currently doing 4 Hls (TRUST ME.. I ask myself everyday why was i EVER stupid enough to do that. lol) ANyways, I really think you should keep holding on ;) If the teacher really isn't helpful, even when you ask him, look for another math teacher in your school maybe. If that doesn't work, you might want to think about extra classes.

But remember. And that's something I realized not so long ago, and try to put in practise: PRACTISE! it's really the only way. Byt practising, yo usee what types of questions they'll ask you, and you'll know all the little tricks the examiners might ask you. So don't give up just now ;) Just know you're not the only one in the same situation. And as IB students, WE WILL MAKE IT! (Y)