Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

howerabin

If I'm doing well in SL math and like math, should I consider it for university?

I've always really liked math. In fact, I wanted to do HL math, but my brother, who did it, basically forced me to take SL math instead, because of how hard the HL course is. So I'm doing SL math, and got a 95 in the Advanced Functions portion of it. (The Stats unit brought my mark down. :( )

But I don't really think SL math is a good measure of my mathematical skills. In my opinion, you can only see if you're really good at something by taking the hardest route, and unfortunately I took the easier SL math route. Does anyone know what I mean?

So what are peoples' general opinions about this? I'm either going into applied math or geography, since I really like geo as well.

Unfortunately I believe you should have taken HL math if you genuinely desired to and enjoy math, and dropped it to SL if the workload was too much to handle. You shouldn't let this decision dictate what you do at university, although I'm not sure about course prerequisites in Canada and elsewhere. If Math HL is not required then by all means go for it, but you may be limited in choices at university relating to those fields you mentioned with SL math.

It doesn't matter which course I took. We were told that in Canada, the universities only look at your course codes, not the names of your IB courses. So, since I am taking SL math, they would see that I took Advanced Functions and Calculus, not SL math. If I took HL math, they would see that I took Advanced Functions, Calculus, and Data management. But Data is not required at many universities.

Ok then, you should go for it then :) If maths is your passion, you should do it at uni.

i completely understand why you didn't take HL maths...my dad was forcing me to do the same but i managed to get my own way and do HL :D

I don't think it'll make such a big difference in the future, especially if universities don't mind

Good Luck :) It's so awesome to see people love maths... it's one of my many loves as well :)

As long as you can get into a maths degree and you enjoy maths, then why would not doing Maths HL stop you from going anywhere you want? :) I'd probably say that you would find uni maths a huge leap from IB Maths SL, but then again degree-level mathematics is a huge leap from a lot of the mathematical thinking we're exposed to in the IB, so that's not saying much.

Geography also sounds fun, particularly the applied stuff. However, a job in geography does seem quite boring, unfortunately. Maybe that's just a stereotype that resides in my head. Economics sounds somewhat cooler to me.