Chloe Martyn

Hey!

I am new to this site,

I just wanted a bit of help with my TOK presentation, I wanted to do "Is famine nature's way of keeping the population down" with the real life situation being the BBC Documentary ARFICA when the baby elephant calf died and the camera crew didn't save it (which i totally agree with- but many didn't)

Is this an OK topic- will i score high on it if I do it well? What would my KI's be?

Thank you for any input!!!!!!

chloe :)

Hey!

I am new to this site,

I just wanted a bit of help with my TOK presentation, I wanted to do "Is famine nature's way of keeping the population down" with the real life situation being the BBC Documentary ARFICA when the baby elephant calf died and the camera crew didn't save it (which i totally agree with- but many didn't)

Is this an OK topic- will i score high on it if I do it well? What would my KI's be?

Thank you for any input!!!!!!

chloe :)

An adequate topic imo. You may break down your main KI into smaller ones e.g "To what extent can nature be defined" because you really have to know what nature is, before you proceed. "To what extent do people carry ethical responsibility of saving others"

Try to look under different areas of knowledge (Ethics, biology, geography) and use different ways of knowing (reason, emotion)

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

I think that right now your question is too ethical or current-affairs-ish. It's not really interrogating the nature of knowledge - you really need to be critiquing what 'nature' is because that's highly ambiguous here. I'm assuming you're comparing it to political factors. I think that the questions that Shad0wboss' mentioned will probably be really useful to develop further TOK-ish thinking. So, whilst I think your real-life issue and current question poses really interesting issues, your knowledge issues need to be more refined and directly question assumptions regarding the value of life, nature etc. I should probably start pondering my own TOK presentation before giving too much advice out. :) Good luck!

• Like 1

Your topic is more of a yes/no question. Knowledge issues are questions that make us think about what we know, how we know it, and how what we know influences the implications of the issue. Try reading some of the TOK thread guides provided by our other members to help you get started. Essentially, you'd want to think of a KI before you generate your real-life situation- not the other way around. Of course, remember to study the rubric to make sure you're hitting all the points. Format, presentation and engagement are important.