Do I need HL Maths for a major in Econs?

Franz Liszt

As far as I remember, HL Maths is only a prerequisite for Economics in the UK at the top universities (where they expect you to be predicted a 7 in Maths HL on top of that).

American colleges are much more fluid in their requirements. There really isn't any set criteria (and if there is, which is rare, it is usually specified very clearly on websites). I applied with HL English, History and Economics to UPenn's Economics programme - didn't get in - but my interview feedback was that basically I came across a little nervous and other applicants were simply better. So I really don't think it makes any difference.

• Like 1

I believe it all depends on your uni of choice: some may require it, others may not...if the majority of unis you're considering require it, I suggest taking it. My brother is interested in law, so researched his top uni's and found he did not require the extra stress, work and study of an LNAT for where he wants to go.

Also, the more advanced mathematical knowledge you will gain from it will only help you in that kind of degree--and will put you in an advantageous position when the selection process begins! Think how impressed your prospective uni's will be when you know the material for the first year pretty much!

However, it comes down to whatever you think you'll do best in-if you think you'll do better at SL than HL, by all means go for SL as you need the points in the first place to even be offered a uni place!

Good luck :)

• Like 1

In the US you should have a pretty decent foundation in math, but HL math isn't required unless that specific university states it (and I can't think of any off the top of my head that do). Econ is pretty math-based knowing several people majoring in economics/actuarial science, so you need math. Ideally HL math is the best preparation, but don't feel compelled to take HL math if you feel like you can get a better grade at SL (a 7 in SL math is better than a 4 at HL). Just whichever math you take, you want to score well in it to be able to handle the math in university.

• 6 years later...
On 2/24/2013 at 7:07 PM, Franz Liszt said:

Hi all, prospective IB student here! :), if I wish to pursue a career in econs in uni (U.S) will I be required to take up HL maths or will SL maths suffice?

Subject outline:

HL: Econs, Bio, Chem

SL: Math, Eng lit and lang, Mand B

why are u taking both chem and bio hl if u wanna enter a career in econs 

For a Career in Econ: 

Option 1: 

HL: Econ/Business/ Math (it is preferred, but u need to put a lot of effort) 

SL: English/ Mand B/ any science u want (chem) 

Option 2: 

HL: Econ/ Business/ English 

SL: Math/ Mand B/ any science u want (chem) 

Just now, BudyH said:

why are u taking both chem and bio hl if u wanna enter a career in econs 

For a Career in Econ: 

Option 1: 

HL: Econ/Business/ Math (it is preferred, but u need to put a lot of effort) 

SL: English/ Mand B/ any science u want (chem) 

Option 2: 

HL: Econ/ Business/ English 

SL: Math/ Mand B/ any science u want (chem) 

i still dont get how u didnt choose business, and u doubled sciences... double sciences isn't fun especially chem HL 

1 hour ago, BudyH said:

i still dont get how u didnt choose business, and u doubled sciences... double sciences isn't fun especially chem HL 

wtf man can't you read when I posted the post lol... I already graduated from university. I didn't do business because it's considered a 'soft' mickey mouse option and was not recommended by admission tutors I contacted. I changed Math SL to HL and the double science was fine - got into top UK and US unis (e.g. LSE, Oxford, NYU).