Extended Essay German B

Kate Rodionova

Hello :)

I'm writting an extended essay in German B and my chosen topic is censorship in Literature and Media in German Democratic Republik. However, it is a very broad topic, but I have no idea how i could narrow ir down. I asked my teacher, but she wasn't much help.

I was thinking to compare either german literature or media (newspapers and movies) before the fall of berlin wall and after it.

So my questions are:

How could I narrow down this topic?

Is it a good idea to write about it?

Is it maybe better to write about it in History?

Edited by Kate Rodionova
  • Like 1

Maybe you should narrow it down to a certain time period within the GDR or you could investigate ways in which authors avoided censorship by referring to a few specific authors

Edited by Moritz Gerneth

Your topic is damn broad. Ok, if you want to compare how the censorship influenced the language, topics etc. in e.g. literature, I'd say it can pass as German B. But if you want to say how it influenced some historical event/how it was influenced by some historical event, that's History to me.

One of my friends wrote her History EE about how a music festival influenced the collapse of communism in Poland, and she also analysed the lyrics of songs that were sang there.