Geography -- Resources

Mich Page

So I'm meant to be doing a presentation in Geography on resources, and I just need a little help. I have all the necessary info to talk about my three chosen resources, I just need some help with the preliminary info.

Can anyone please tell me, or give me an accurate source, on what the Top 10 consumed natural resources are? In order of most to least consumed.

Many thanks in advance!

So I'm meant to be doing a presentation in Geography on resources, and I just need a little help. I have all the necessary info to talk about my three chosen resources, I just need some help with the preliminary info.

Can anyone please tell me, or give me an accurate source, on what the Top 10 consumed natural resources are? In order of most to least consumed.

Many thanks in advance!

One of my mock exams question was that where i had to write out the names in order from the pie chart.

So this is from 2008:

- Oil: 33.5%

- Coal 26.8%

- Gas 20.9%

- Nuclear 5.8%

- Hydro 2.2

- Other renewable energies (solar, wind, bio, geothermal etc) 10.6%

if you need more then have a look here

Edited by shad0wboss

Water: Less than 1% of all water on Earth available for human use directly - 35 million cubic kilometres. Water usage of about 3400 cubic kilometres per year, and this is increasing at a rate twice that of population growth. 70% agriculture, 22% industry, 8% domestic use worldwide. It is estimated that the amount of available water/capita will reduce by 25% by 2025 - concerning for regions already experiencing water scarcity.

Wood: Rainforests halved in area from 14% to 7%, loss of 13 million ha of forest each year. 6 million ha lost to commercial deforestation, worth $16 billion to industry.

Land: I'd say do this in the context of the ecological footprint - which encompasses land, but also resource usage - so the ecological footprint is more summative rather than simply referring to land. Earth's biological productive capacity is 1.9ha, but we are using 2.2ha - a deficit of 15%. Western nations account for most of the usage, with 4/5 planets needed to support their lifestyle if everyone on Earth lived this way.

Hope this was useful. Anyway, thank you for forcing me to revise for my geography exams in 3 days time!