Best ways to practice Math.....?

supergirldq

Do questions then if you find that you're getting things wrong, look at where you've gone wrong. This way you'll be more conscious to future mistakes and understand the questions better. Then you'll be able to apply the principles to a number of different questions.

Just going through questions without trying to find out what went wrong isn't that time efficient tbh. Neither is just reading the text book.

The best way to practice questions is actually to do past papers. The only problem with this is that if you start on past papers too early, you risk using them all up and not having enough practice questions to sharpen up with before the exam, as you'll remember roughly how you solved them. If your textbook has a decent questions section, I'd definitely run with it and try that first, or ask your teacher for a place you can find some extra Qs on the same topic but not drawn from past papers. Or you know, just start with past papers, it's your call :P

As Award Winning Boss said, you've got to go back through things and figure out where you're going wrong for sure - if you can't figure it out yourself, make a list of them or just pile them up and hand them into your teacher. Most teachers are happy to help if you show that you're eager and keen to learn (which you pretty much have just by doing extra work outside of lessons!). Reading textbooks isn't hugely helpful in Maths, I found. In terms of making notes to refer back to later, the best way I had for doing it was to work through a question in massive detail, writing out what the step in the working out was meant to achieve, why and how. This was especially useful for me as I found executing the methods easy but remembering the why to use the method, how to use it and what I should do for longer than 5 minutes was hard. It's much better than reading the textbook explanations which tend to be a lot of abstract maths (which I personally was not smart enough to understand!).

Good luck.

• Like 1