Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M.A

Books worth reading?

Hey!

So I really love to read and I would like to know what books you guys think are worth reading... as in your all time favorite books or just any good books ^.^

1 person likes this

if this is is to be integrated with the literature in IB and is just for light reading, "Woman at point zero" is pretty good.

1 person likes this

Twilight and Diary of a Wimpy Kid!

haha, jk

Some good books i've been reading recently include Conrad's Heart of Darkness, All Quiet on the Western Front and Verne's From the Earth to the Moon. All of those books are really great stuff!

1 person likes this

1984 :) awesome read

haha, jk

Some good books i've been reading recently include Conrad's Heart of Darkness, All Quiet on the Western Front and Verne's From the Earth to the Moon. All of those books are really great stuff!

It's sad you even consider something like twilight literature *sigh*

My favourite 'literary' books would probably be The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and The Magus by John Fowles.

In terms of books to read just because you love reading, if you don't mind a bit of fantasy, all of the trilogies by Robin Hobb are un-put-downable, brilliant stories. I think they're the books I get the most happiness from reading! If you can get completely captured by a good fantasy novel, I personally find that the most satisfying genre to just sit down and chill out with.

I suppose I have plenty of suggestions but it really depends on what sort of stuff you like to read. Science books, fantasy, science-fiction, bog standard fiction, satirical, factual, autobiographies, crime, horror, thrillers, romance novels... what floats your boat? :P

1 person likes this

I second Woman at Point Zero... its fantastic. I also love Frankenstein as well

Unwind by Neal Shusterman. I'm just finishing it now, and though the language isn't so challenging, the plot, characters and whole concept is truly amazing.

Also, I'm in love with Markus Zusak ever since I read the Book Thief. A book everyone should read before they die.

haha, jk

Notice how I added the "jk" which stands for just kidding... *sigh* :)

haha, jk

Notice how I added the "jk" which stands for just kidding... *sigh* :)

I know but even in a joke... soz im like really anti-Twilight :)

Personally, I love Harry Potter even though I hate fantasy in general. I'm also quite impressed with Stephen Fry, Ian McEwan (though not with some of his newer stuff!) and Virginia Woolf in terms of modern authors. I have to say though my passion is for Austen, Bronte and Sherlock Holmes. There have probably been more books I've been impressed with, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

2 people like this

haha, jk

Hahahha you scared me there... I will definitely check them out!

My favourite 'literary' books would probably be The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and The Magus by John Fowles.

In terms of books to read just because you love reading, if you don't mind a bit of fantasy, all of the trilogies by Robin Hobb are un-put-downable, brilliant stories. I think they're the books I get the most happiness from reading! If you can get completely captured by a good fantasy novel, I personally find that the most satisfying genre to just sit down and chill out with.

I suppose I have plenty of suggestions but it really depends on what sort of stuff you like to read. Science books, fantasy, science-fiction, bog standard fiction, satirical, factual, autobiographies, crime, horror, thrillers, romance novels... what floats your boat? :P

I will check them out! Haha would you believe me if I told you that I read anything? Don't like sticking to a specific genre :P

The go-between by L.P. Hartley

The God of Small things by Arundhati Roy

The handmaid's tale by Margaret Atwood

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami (probably one of the best books I've read)

1 person likes this

1984 and Phantom of the Opera, both have interesting themes to them.

2 people like this

I really loved The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov and Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Magical realism is my favorite :geek:

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is the best book I've ever read. Also, it's only like 100 pages long :P

The Godfather, Mario Puzo. I could read it over and over again.

I'm reading The Age of Innocence now, I find it weirdly entertaining, despite the fact that nothing much is happening. Though I only read 20% of it, so it's hard to judge.

I'm probably a bit messed up bacause of the IB literature, but I do find The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wild really, really good. I've read it three times, It's somewhat deep and twisted, but I love it!

i don't reaaally like reading but along with a few books which i read as a kid, i did like a few books from our literary works..

the book of time

dragon rider

the adventures of huckleberry finn( read this then watch django and you could relate some of the things :P )

dances with wolves

the great gatsby

I love books by specific authors; for instance:

John Steinbeck (East of Eden, Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men)

Robertson Davies (Deptford Trilogy)

Haruki Murakami (The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore, 1Q84)

George Orwell (1984, Animal Farm, Essays)

Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist, Great Expectations)

Other recommendations include A Brief History of Time (Hawking) and The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway),

1 person likes this

Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist, Great Expectations)

^ the books I want to read badly and somehow always forget to borrow at the library... How is that even possible?!

Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" (Austen's irony is priceless, love her).

"Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem is another title which more people need to hear, seriously. If you dig sci-fi, then this is the book you've been looking for. Really, you won't regret reading it. Trust me.

"The Catcher in the Rye" by J. D. Salinger is brilliant and very popular among youngsters, so you've probably already heard about it. Some other "mainstream" titles I'd suggest are "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad, Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Around the world in 80 days", "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelly, the Harry Potter Saga... I think I went a little too far with children's literature here, lol.

I am a big fan of Agatha Christie so I can't miss out "...And then there were none", her masterpiece :)

When I was younger I also loved "The Boys of Paul Street" by Hungarian author Ferenc Molnar. Although it's been about... 8 years?! since I read it, it truly is one of the most moving stories I've ever read and which I'll never forget. I should brush the dust off of it one of these days.

edit: "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte is rad, too.

Edited by vals

Seconding The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde as they happen to be my favourite books!

• The original Peter Pan by JM Barrie is so adorable. Honestly. Everyone should read it.
  • ANYTHING BY PG WODEHOUSE. (Jeeves and Wooster fan here. I could rant about this for days.)
  • Protector of the Small Quartet by Tamora Pierce, if you like swords and the idea of a female knight.
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell will forever be my favourite Austen-like novel.
  • This Side of Paradise by F Scott Fitzgerald. Everyone goes on and on about The Great Gatsby but I've always preferred this one as I think Amory is much easier to identify with.
  • The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. The premise is interesting and the tales themselves are actually fascinating and at times hilarious, if not exactly modern. One note though: the first time you read it, find a copy in modern English. I first tried to read it in the original middle English and I nearly had an aneurysm.

Happy reading!