Korean B individual oral

Hi,

my Korean B individual oral has to be sent really soon and I haven't started recording yet. The option I chose was leisure and I was going to use a picture of Park Ji-Sung running or being tackled and falling to the groung. Do you think this will be appropriate? In the marking criteria, it says that I have to be culturally relevant to the language. How am I supposed to relate sports to culture?

Thanks

For the individual oral you shouldn't be picking the photo - it should be your teacher. You don't know exactly what photo you're going to talk about until the actual day when you are given it, and hence use your 15 minutes preparation to produce a 3-4 minutes presentation on it. But you should know your topic (which is sports) before you go in - which means you have to learn all the vocab for that subject.

As for the cultural link: perhaps you can relate it to the Olympics? For example, that South Korean fencer who sat down on the piste to protest after defeat? Or more generally, how sports are prevalent or not prevalent in South Korean culture? I'm not quite sure how to relate it to the culture since I don't know enough, and since my topic was domestic violence in Spain...

Good luck!

For the individual oral you shouldn't be picking the photo - it should be your teacher. You don't know exactly what photo you're going to talk about until the actual day when you are given it, and hence use your 15 minutes preparation to produce a 3-4 minutes presentation on it. But you should know your topic (which is sports) before you go in - which means you have to learn all the vocab for that subject.

As for the cultural link: perhaps you can relate it to the Olympics? For example, that South Korean fencer who sat down on the piste to protest after defeat? Or more generally, how sports are prevalent or not prevalent in South Korean culture? I'm not quite sure how to relate it to the culture since I don't know enough, and since my topic was domestic violence in Spain...

Good luck!

My school doesn't offer Korean, so I'm doing everything on my own. Since I'm Korean I don't have any worries with the vocabulary or speaking. I'm just not sure what the IB wants me to talk about.

Thanks for the idea on the Olympics.

My school doesn't offer Korean, so I'm doing everything on my own.

How are you going to do the oral then? Because my individual oral was set up like so: given the photo and 15 minutes preparation alone, then sit down with a teacher and give the presentation I made during my prep for 3-4 minutes, and then conversation about the topic I had just talked about (including questions) and also my second topic. Are you doing Korean B SL or HL? If you are SL, you should get a choice of 2 photos to choose from, while HL you are given only one photo and have to use it.

My school doesn't offer Korean, so I'm doing everything on my own.

How are you going to do the oral then? Because my individual oral was set up like so: given the photo and 15 minutes preparation alone, then sit down with a teacher and give the presentation I made during my prep for 3-4 minutes, and then conversation about the topic I had just talked about (including questions) and also my second topic. Are you doing Korean B SL or HL? If you are SL, you should get a choice of 2 photos to choose from, while HL you are given only one photo and have to use it.

I'm planning to do it with my extended essay supervisor. I'm doing my extended essay on Korean literature. She's not familiar with the IB but since she is a native korean speaker, she can ask me the questions after my presentation. I'm doing HL. Or if my supervisor doesn't have time to record I can do it with my parents. That's how other students in the past at my school who did korean did it.

Okay, all the best! I'll try and give you an idea what the questioning part is like by using my own individual oral as reference.

Topic: Domestic violence (in general)

Questions:

• What are the causes of domestic violence? (Its history, the effect of male-dominated societies etc.)
  • How can the fight against domestic violence be improved?
  • Does domestic violence occur in (place you are living in)?
  • How has education led to improving of domestic violence?
  • How does the title of the photo (the photo should come with a caption, for example one of my captions was Why did she not report/call for help?) relate to your topic?
  • How is the photo/topic related to the Hispanic world?

And then when the topic changes to your second topic (although most of your oral should be based on sports as it's your main topic, I'm assuming), this is the question my teacher used to transition me to it:

• Have you studied another topic that is of particular interest?

Just to reiterate, you are not supposed to know your photo or its caption before the exam. You can practise with other photos and captions, but the actual exam photo should be one you have never seen before.

Good luck!

Edited by carpediem