Language

M.A

So I am simply wondering what you guys think is the best way to learn a new language or at least recall a language

I used to speak spanish fluently as a child but stopped using it on a regular basis and now I understand some parts of it but my grammar is absolutely horrifying and my speaking is terrible. I just cannot formulate correct sentences anymore and for the past 2 weeks I have really been into learning the language again since I truly think that it is a beautiful language, I would like to know some of your tips and suggestions I guess :please:

• Like 1

I only speak 2 languages fluently English and Spanish. What works best for me is complete immersion. If there is a Latino side of your town or a group of Spanish speakers that meet weekly get into those meetings and just absorb, I wouldn't suggest trying to learn as much as trying to understand. If that makes sense? Since we were babies the need to communicate will come naturally, so instead of forcing it quickly, I would just go absorb and understand and patiently wait for it to become possible. It's not really a short process (at least this is my experience). Oh and 1 more very important thing. Don't be afraid to speak and make a complete fool of yourself. You will learn much faster if you speak wrongly but often, than if you speak correctly but only a little bit.

Miccol

Yeah it would be easier for me to learn the language if I would have spanish speaking people in my surroundings which I don't but not only that even if I meet fluent speakers I am very uncomfortable when speaking to them since I do feel like I make a fool out of myself. Will try to change that though! thanks for the tips!

I'm fluent in english and serbo-croatian. I learn french in school and dabble in russian as a hobby. i would also suggest full immersion, and although finding a neighbourhood filled with people who speak the language you wish to improve in that can be difficult to find and intimidating to approach. The internet is really practical for this kind of stuff, find reading materials in your reading level and move up. Read or listen to the news in your strongest/ native language and then lead/ listen to it again in Spanish, you will make connections and learn new vocabulary. You can alongside this practice your grammar from an online resource, I would recommend torrenting an old training book for diplomats when they learn a language before working in a foreign nation. These are abundant and usually free... and never, never fall for Rosetta stone, its an old teaching style, with a fancy new interface. its not worth the money. For more info just youtube "polyglots" or "polyglot tips." They will know the best methods of learning a language since they learn many to varying proficiencies.

Good luck or should I say buena suerte!

• 4 weeks later...

I find that wathing movies and reading books in the target language really helps. Plus it's fun. Also, YouTube videos are useful at practicing a language; I'm not necessarily talking about educational videos, but "vlogs". Some of them are interesting and extremely funny. One of my Spanish favorites is LuzuVlogs, just search for him in YouTube.

Also you can follow me on twitter to get frequent Spanish tips :) @ConsejosEspanol

Edited by math2