Llazi

My original thesis for my EE was "How did the end of communism in Albania contribute to an increase in human trafficking" , but my advisor kept telling me that this is more of a report rather than a research paper because of the "how did" in the first part of the question. She then suggested that I put "To what extent" instead.

Does using "How did" in the beginning of my question make it a report? I dont understand how it could. My research teacher originally told me that I could do this, but then my advisor said that i couldnt....

So i just need someones opinion on whether i should use " how did" or " to what extent"

I feel like if you just use 'how did', you'll just be regurgitating information that you can find on the internet. By using the 'to what extent' there's more of an analytical feel, which is what examiners like! You won't just be scraping the surface, but you'll have to dig further to find the information you need.

• Like 2

The idea with "to what extent" is that it paves the way for a debate. So you can lay out the initial premise that the end of communism contributed to the rise in human trafficking, but you're RQ also gives you the scope to rebut this hypothesis. By using "how did," you're accepting as fact that the 'end of communism led to a rise in human trafficking' and if you try to engage in debate, it would contravene the express terms of your RQ and therefore, you would lose points.

So listen to your advisor.

• Like 1

The idea with "to what extent" is that it paves the way for a debate. So you can lay out the initial premise that the end of communism contributed to the rise in human trafficking, but you're RQ also gives you the scope to rebut this hypothesis. By using "how did," you're accepting as fact that the 'end of communism led to a rise in human trafficking' and if you try to engage in debate, it would contravene the express terms of your RQ and therefore, you would lose points.

Okay. I see what your saying. Should I include arguments that would go against my original thesis in my essay? Based on my research the end of communism contributed to economic, political, and social instability which leads to an increase in human trafficking. But because of the "to what extent" am i supposed to include other factors that could lead to an increase in human trafficking , such as war, etc.

>The idea with "to what extent" is that it paves the way for a debate. So you can lay out the initial premise that the end of communism contributed to the rise in human trafficking, but you're RQ also gives you the scope to rebut this hypothesis. By using "how did," you're accepting as fact that the 'end of communism led to a rise in human trafficking' and if you try to engage in debate, it would contravene the express terms of your RQ and therefore, you would lose points.

Okay. I see what your saying. Should I include arguments that would go against my original thesis in my essay? Based on my research the end of communism contributed to economic, political, and social instability which leads to an increase in human trafficking. But because of the "to what extent" am i supposed to include other factors that could lead to an increase in human trafficking , such as war, etc.

You should definitely be doing that because it shows evidence of wider reading and a thoughtful consideration of the facts. It also makes your main argument more credible.

• Like 1