Phyics EE on what materials offer the best shielding against an EMP

ArenasField

So I am doing my EE in physics, and I decided on a topic: what materials offer the best shielding against an electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

First, would this be a decent topic for my EE, and would I find enough information on it?

I was thinking of measuring the electromagnetic pulse using an oscilloscope. The reason I want to test this , is because I've always been fascinated how an electromagnetic pulse can destroy electronics, and I thought about how it may be useful in terms of warfare (not that I condone it or anything) or something else. For example, nuclear weapons can produce EMPs, and they have in the past and people have lost power (this happened in Hawaii a while back).

Could you guys offer any help and maybe some tips on how to set up my experiment? Where could I get the materials to shield the EMP.

I was thinking I could take some readings from the EMP from the oscilloscope without a barrier, and then, I could use a barrier of some sort or surround the oscilloscope with a material and see how the readings change.

I was thinking this could be useful because it e would be beneficial to know the material that best shields the pulse.

Any advice or tips please?

Thanks in advance.

I did my EE in physics as well. For your experiment, you could use many types of materials such as foil, wood, different metals and so on as ways of shielding EMP. Another way if you could test it is seeing if you could amplify it somehow. For Physics EE's, just make sure you know what you plan on testing and why. I like the reasoning behind why you want to and just elaborate on that in a essay form and I think you have a solid EE. In case you were wondering, I did mine on the realism of Physics in video games. Mainly the game Portal. I made that valuable by describing how video games could be use to teach basic physics. I believe it went well but will have to wait and see.