I'm about to start making my Business HL IA and has started to gather few information about a particular private company interested to invest in "green" energy power plant.

A brief background of the company:

1. It will invest around USD 1M - USD 100M.

2. It can only develop one power plant as of now choosing from developing (solar panel, water, biomass, geothermal) power plant.

3. It has a dilemma in choosing the best site (Manado, Bali, Padang, Surabaya) because each site has different geographic and natural resources PLUS social issues brought by the resisting people in the community as 10 to 20 hectares of land must be used.

4. The company has a fixed buying power from the government electrical company and has no direct competitor because if it chooses to locate a certain area, then for the radii of 30km it belongs to it wholy to supply electricity.

Now, the company is great.

The company's current issue is about (SEE no. 2 and 3) .

MY PROBLEM = MY RESEARCH QUESTION

Do you think, my RQ is "acceptable" and "business like"?

"What type of "green" energy power plant (solar panel/ water/ biomass/ geothermal) and where (Manado/ Bali/ Padang/ Surabaya) should X company decide to invest in if it expects to achieve the shortest return on investment with the least likely social issues in the future?"

I could do pretty much analysis involving decision tree, the PEST of locating in each site, comparing the cost and revenue for developing one type of energy power plant...

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by Brenda Wijaya

Your RQ would be great if you don't mention name of the places like Manado, Bali etc. Instead your RQ can be:

"What type of "green" energy power plant (solar panel/ water/ biomass/ geothermal) and at which suitable location should X company decide to invest in if it expects to achieve the shortest return on investment with the least likely social issues in the future?"

You can mention the name of places below RQ

Edited by Sandwich
Please write words out properly, as per forum rules. Thanks.
  • Like 1

Your RQ would be great if you don't mention name of the places like Manado, Bali etc. Instead your RQ can be:

"What type of "green" energy power plant (solar panel/ water/ biomass/ geothermal) and at which suitable location should X company decide to invest in if it expects to achieve the shortest return on investment with the least likely social issues in the future?"

You can mention the name of places below RQ

Thanks for your suggestion :)

If there are any other suggestions and inputs on how to improve my RQ please do share people!

Your opinions are so much welcomed :)

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

It sounds good, however I feel as i you are trying to explore two different questions at once. I would suggest specifying the green energy source or the location so for example:

"What type of "green" energy power plant (solar panel/ water/ biomass/ geothermal) should company X invest in if it expects to achieve the shortest return on investment with the least likely social issues in the future?" then in your explanation of it specify the country i.e. Bali or

"Which location should company X decide to invest in geothermal energy if it expects to achieve the shortest return on investment with the least likely social issues in the future?"

Then explain the choice of countries.

I think otherwise you will not have enough space in 2000 words.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1