Math HL internal assessment topics?

YuHi

I'm gathering that you are the new syllabus for Maths HL (post-2014) - your IA has to be your own project idea. In that case, nobody will have done that style of Maths IA before! If you look in the forum for Maths HL & Further in more detail, you'll see various threads with different ideas on it. Otherwise, I'm afraid there won't be much detail on topics that could work for the new-style Maths HL IA. Your teacher should have support material with some stimulus to try and help students generate ideas, otherwise you may have to resort to google and other sources to try and come up with a topic. Good luck :)

It's quite annoying as there is not much in the way of inspiration from past topics, as nobody has had to ome up with their own topics before. All we can use is the past portfolio topics. By the time the first batch of 'new-syllabus' students are done we will probably have exceeded the number of past topics given many times over. Thanks for the advice anyways.

if you can tell me what you did for your math ia (hl) that would be great :)

It's quite annoying as there is not much in the way of inspiration from past topics, as nobody has had to ome up with their own topics before. All we can use is the past portfolio topics. By the time the first batch of 'new-syllabus' students are done we will probably have exceeded the number of past topics given many times over. Thanks for the advice anyways.

If you are indeed referring to the new mathematical exploration IA, it may be worthwhile to refer to the sample explorations from this website. The new IAs are more like mini extended essays, in that the same type of topic can be used but less information/ words need to be used. It's better if they are narrow. So I would imagine a plausible topic that is deemed too narrow for a maths EE is probably suitable do a maths exploration on. It's kind of similar to the science IAs can be mini extended essays.

The sample explorations are said to be "written by teacher, students teachers and others involved in the development of the new internal assessment... [and] exemplify excellent work." I'd imagine since they were so involved in the process they would definitely know what they were on about and i expected from future candidates who want higher grades. Check it out. And share this with your teachers/ peers.

http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql@doc=d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e&part=2&chapter=2.html

But basically choose an area of interest and expand.

This is the format I suggest when looking for your investigatory focus:

Find an area of maths that you particularly like and narrow it down to a topic/ aspect. Then you can make it into a question or just a focus.

For example

Find an area of maths: recreational mathematics/ mathematical modelling

Find a topic/ aspect: Rubik's cube

Question/ focus: Combinations of a Rubik's cube

If you have the newest maths HL course companion book, it's meant to have a whole chapter providing help for the exploration.

But basically go through the process to form your investigation project.

• Like 1