extended essay geography?

bale

I think your topic is relevant to geography. However, it seems far, far too broad! I think that firstly you will need to specify a certain region/country for which you are looking at the impact of the nuclear power-plant. This will give your essay greater focus, and will probably be better overall as impacts of power plants are different for different areas. I also think it would be worth trying to refine your focus to only look at a certain group of impacts - are you considering physical or social? So I think you will probably have to go and consider more specificity in your question, then you would need to assess how you could collect data for it as you a) may not live near a nuclear power plant and b) may not be able to get close to the power plant to test anything physical.

• Like 1

I think your topic is relevant to geography. However, it seems far, far too broad! I think that firstly you will need to specify a certain region/country for which you are looking at the impact of the nuclear power-plant. This will give your essay greater focus, and will probably be better overall as impacts of power plants are different for different areas. I also think it would be worth trying to refine your focus to only look at a certain group of impacts - are you considering physical or social? So I think you will probably have to go and consider more specificity in your question, then you would need to assess how you could collect data for it as you a) may not live near a nuclear power plant and b) may not be able to get close to the power plant to test anything physical.

I already have a nuclear plant that I have in mind for collecting the data, however I'm not really sure at what type of I should focus it on. Any suggestions?

Well, it's awesome that you have a nuclear power plant nearby, for me that just seems quite weird :) I think that the physical/environmental consequences would be harder to collect primary data on due to safety concerns, but there may be some secondary information available. I suppose it depends also on whether the power plant is close to communities - for example, if the plant is many, many thousands of kilometres away from any civilisation (unlikely) social effects would probably not be relevant. So I would probably say you should go for the aspects that you think are most interesting or controversial in the local situation - and focus on getting lots of information/analysis on that.

Well, it's awesome that you have a nuclear power plant nearby, for me that just seems quite weird :) I think that the physical/environmental consequences would be harder to collect primary data on due to safety concerns, but there may be some secondary information available. I suppose it depends also on whether the power plant is close to communities - for example, if the plant is many, many thousands of kilometres away from any civilisation (unlikely) social effects would probably not be relevant. So I would probably say you should go for the aspects that you think are most interesting or controversial in the local situation - and focus on getting lots of information/analysis on that.

I know some people who work in the power plant and i it is close to a city...however im not really sure how to apply it to geography cos im not doing it at the moment

I know some people who work in the power plant and i it is close to a city...however im not really sure how to apply it to geography cos im not doing it at the moment

If you are not a geography student, then it may be harder to do an EE - but by no means impossible, because it is geography :) I'd suggest that you should read the IB Geography Syllabus and look at the kind of syllabus points that they have - there are definitely sections in the syllabus relevant to renewable energy, so your topic is 'geographical' in a sense. Also try reading geography textbooks in general. Otherwise, if you haven't already, look at the EE Guide for Geography and also the few sample Geography EEs that are available, because they should give you an idea of what your EE should look like and roughly what it should cover.

If you are not a geography student, then it may be harder to do an EE - but by no means impossible, because it is geography :) I'd suggest that you should read the IB Geography Syllabus and look at the kind of syllabus points that they have - there are definitely sections in the syllabus relevant to renewable energy, so your topic is 'geographical' in a sense. Also try reading geography textbooks in general. Otherwise, if you haven't already, look at the EE Guide for Geography and also the few sample Geography EEs that are available, because they should give you an idea of what your EE should look like and roughly what it should cover.

Im chose to do the nuclear plant cos i know some people who work in environmental aspect that copule providencia me with the informacion....by the way is geography an easy topic to do the EE....well at least in my school people get the best grades in that subject

I am currently thinking of doing an extended essay on: How the nuclear powerplant affects the region where its build' however I am unsure wether this topic is relevant to geography?

I personally think geography is one of the easiest subjects to do your EE and your idea seems intresting so i don't see a problem however you should talk to your supervisor to make things clear.

I am currently thinking of doing an extended essay on: How the nuclear powerplant affects the region where its build' however I am unsure wether this topic is relevant to geography?

I personally think geography is one of the easiest subjects to do your EE and your idea seems intresting so i don't see a problem however you should talk to your supervisor to make things clear.

Yes you might be right however Im not currently doing geography as one of my subjects and neither in igcse so im not really sure how easy it will actually be...(i want to get over with the EE as soon as possible however i am confused which subject I should choose as apparently I am doing the hardest subjects for the EE)