Chemistry vs Physics

iknowwhocares

So, i was pretty set on taking Chemistry until 10 minutes ago when I heard someone say that Chemistry was harder than Physics. I don't really have a preference, to be honest I'm not much of a science person and I really just want to get a good grade...

I would be taking either subjects at Standard Level.

It depends on a person and their personal likes and dislikes, but for me Chem SL is rather easy and doesn't require crazy amounts of study (so I can focus on my HLs). But if you prefer Physics, you'll like it more. Very personal, in my opinion.

I take both Chemistry and Physics, and at SL there is no easier science than chemistry, that is if you're into it. Take physics if you're interested and if you're good at it, because it takes someone who's good at it to guarantee a good grade. And since it doesn't seem to be your "main" subject, I guess you should just pick the one where you can score higher.

So I recommend Chemistry.

Put it this way, most of the people in my school who take Chemistry at HL seem to find it painfully difficult, whereas I know loads of people doing HL Physics who think it is easy and are predicted 7s. However, it may be different at SL. I've looked at physics papers and chemistry papers, and I thought that the chemistry papers looked more difficult, because there is a lot of balancing equations, knowing what reactions produce what reactants, recognising complex atom structures and energy calculations, etc..

Why don't you look at past papers for both? It's just my personal opinion (it's just that most of my school year appear to think this way) that Chemistry HL is more of a nightmare than Physics HL, but Biology SL is the easiest science. If you have a particular aptitude or passion for either though, it will certainly impact your potential or understanding of either subject.

• Like 1

If you're a fan of numbers, check the stats out: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/documents/may_2012_statistical_bulletin.pdf

On page 33, if you compare and contrast the results for both subjects at SL you'll so there is almost no difference in average score or amount of people achieving 7s.

Numbers aside, you should consider a few other factors when making the choice.

Will either one of these choices affect your university options? - You stated you are not a science person, so I can safely guess that you won't be pursuing a degree in medicine after IB. However if you were, then chemistry would be a must (along with biology in most instances). If you are perusing something numbers related (finance / economics), I would say that Physics will help you develop certain skills that are present in maths based university courses.

Teacher? - Check who is teaching the two courses at your school. Find out how many years of experience they have with the IB program. Find out stats from your school specifically (how many students got 7s last year in bio/phys? how many failed?). A great teacher who knows the IB inside out can make your life much easier.

Interest? - You say you're not a science person, but take a quick look at both syllabus's and see if anything really catches your eye. I'm not very 'sciency' either, but I absolutely loved some of the modules when I took Physics HL (the options on astrophysics and relativity - mindblowing)

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Personally, im about 10 weeks into both, so I have some idea, but it is limited.

IMO chemistry is WAY easier. I reasonable at maths, yet physics still messes with my head. Chemistry, on the other hand, is way easier, and even the maths that is given is simpler, really year 9, stuff, although i assume it will get harder.

However, if your good at maths, physics isn't too bad. I probabally prtefer the consepts in physics to those in chemistry, and, at this punt their not too hard to understand.

Put it this way, most of the people in my school who take Chemistry at HL seem to find it painfully difficult, whereas I know loads of people doing HL Physics who think it is easy and are predicted 7s. However, it may be different at SL. I've looked at physics papers and chemistry papers, and I thought that the chemistry papers looked more difficult, because there is a lot of balancing equations, knowing what reactions produce what reactants, recognising complex atom structures and energy calculations, etc..

Why don't you look at past papers for both? It's just my personal opinion (it's just that most of my school year appear to think this way) that Chemistry HL is more of a nightmare than Physics HL, but Biology SL is the easiest science. If you have a particular aptitude or passion for either though, it will certainly impact your potential or understanding of either subject.

There's a huge difference between Chem SL and HL, from what my HL classmates say.

that's a bit hard to decide on really

the gap between HL and SL chem is pretty big, bigger tha physics, but it could mean that you study more in physics

but based on what I've hear, chem seemed to be harder because the physics kids are not doing much except writing prac reports