Answering Developmental Psych Qs

Hearts

Hey,
For the option of developmental psych, apparently you need to apply the biological, cognitive and sociocultural perspectives when answering the questions. i'm wondering how you should go about that? I know the first point explicitly states, 'to what extent do biological, cognitive and socio-cultural factos influence human development' - so you'd naturally structure an answer that split ups and talks about the 3 perspectives. but would this kind of approach apply for all other syllabus points? for example, 'evaluate psychological research relevant to developmental psychology' - would you break THAT down into 'biological, cognitive, and sociocultural'? Additionally, i know that according to the IB psych guide there are three areas explored in dev psych - cognitive, social and identity development - and for the syllabus point of 'evaluate psychological research relevant to developmental psychology' - instead of mentioning biological, cog and sociocultural approaches like the first point, it mentions the approach of " for coginitive development look at: etc., for social development look at: etc., and for identity development look at"

and then for the rest of the questions they all fall under either cognitive, social, and identity specific questions - would i approach those questions according to splitting the answer into biological, cognitive, and sociocultural?

sorry, this might be a tad confusing...

hope someone can help!

Hi. So the question you first mentioned asked for the three perspectives that is why you have to mention all three of them. Having psychology as well, I don;t see why you would be obliged to mention all three approaches when the question does not specifically ask you to. When answering a question you should read it very carefully. Although an interrelation of approaches is a favorite topic of IB Psychology, you do not have to apply interaction in every single question. Developmental level of analysis is no different than any other level so I don;t see why a unique approach should be followed in answering the questions. Hope that helps :)