How to make a subject interesting?

Hello,

My favorite subjects are econ and business. As far as I know I usually I read business studies just like stories and my love for the

economics is because I love money very much. I treat these 2 subjects as an interesting games and puzzles ( and I think that it is the very weird method of studying an subject.). But my concern is of Physics and Maths. First of all I hate these subjects and second is that I don't how to make these subjects interesting.

Any advice that what are your study methods that you adopt to make an subject interesting? :hmmm:

I recommend trying watching videos from the khanacademy.org. There are lots of simple videos on a lot difficult topics, as well as goals and badges that motivate you:). As for Physics, I specifically suggest watching lectures and reading books of Lawrence Krauss- awesomely devoted guy to Physics, kind of like Richard Dawkins only in a different subject . Hope this helps :).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still trying to find a way to make physics more interesting and fun. But honestly, it is the knowledge that I'm going to complete the course in less than a year's time that is keeping me interested. Also getting questions right makes me really happy. (Clearly it doesn't happen often). So, with that in mind, perhaps what both you and I should do is get a sticker board. For every correct answer (or every 15 correct answers considering your ability) put a sticker on the chart. After you get a set number of stickers (30) you can reward yourself with something you enjoy. Maybe this will make you enjoy the subject a bit more :)

• Like 5

So I'm still trying to find a way to make physics more interesting and fun. But honestly, it is the knowledge that I'm going to complete the course in less than a year's time that is keeping me interested. Also getting questions right makes me really happy. (Clearly it doesn't happen often). So, with that in mind, perhaps what both you and I should do is get a sticker board. For every correct answer (or every 15 correct answers considering your ability) put a sticker on the chart. After you get a set number of stickers (30) you can reward yourself with something you enjoy. Maybe this will make you enjoy the subject a bit more :)

Thanks I will keep in mind,

This might sound a bit novel or even stupid, but there are some facts that I memorise/learn by associating them with funny moments that occurred when I first encountered them. For example, there are some truly unusual and fantastical comments which I associate with Latin phrases, meaning that I generally can't forget the translation. :) Even with something like maths or physics, I like to colour code my notes or draw amusing annotated diagrams, which means I can make the dry material seem 'interesting', or at least visually attractive.

Sometimes, though, there's nothing that can make a subject 'interesting'. You just have to force yourself to finish it, however much you hate it. Sadly, that's the way it is.

• Like 1

Can you all please tell me that which Physics book does your school use it as course book. Mine is K.A Tsokos.

We use an IBID book by Kerr + Ruth; and an orange Oxford IB study guide by Kirk. The book is sometimes too detailed in some areas and not detailed enough in other areas; and the study guide's a bit cursory but good for revision. I've heard that Tsokos tends to be a bit longer and more in-depth than the actual syllabus or questions require, but not having used it I'm not sure myself. I've got the Pearson textbook, and whilst I think it's a good, clean summary of the syllabus, it really doesn't have the same level of detail, particularly in problem solving.

OMG you are such a strange person...you can take that as a compliment if you wish :D coz it might or might not have been intended to be one... (:

I think that if you just try to have a positive approach to the subject and treat it like something you want to do instead of unfortunately have to do helps. Like a lot.

I'm saying this from my personal experiences coz i like detest French...seriously. I just try to like it... I make sure my work is very neat and colourful, my table's organised, the air cons at the right temperature and not much chance for me to get distracted when I study such a subject. It works most times, but (for me at least) the motivation to do well in it and IB in general also automatically makes the subject interesting :)

Sometimes, though, there's nothing that can make a subject 'interesting'. You just have to force yourself to finish it, however much you hate it. Sadly, that's the way it is.

Tots agree with this because frankly if you're doing IB, you have to live with that subject...even if you hate it!

Edited by cricketcrazynerd
  • Like 1

OMG you are such a strange person...you can take that as a compliment if you wish :D coz it might or might not have been intended to be one... (:

I think that if you just try to have a positive approach to the subject and treat it like something you want to do instead of unfortunately have to do helps. Like a lot.

I'm saying this from my personal experiences coz i like detest French...seriously. I just try to like it... I make sure my work is very neat and colourful, my table's organised, the air cons at the right temperature and not much chance for me to get distracted when I study such a subject. It works most times, but (for me at least) the motivation to do well in it and IB in general also automatically makes the subject interesting :)

Tots agree with this because frankly if you're doing IB, you have to live with that subject...even if you hate it!

French is a language so it is not hard as subjects like physics. Of course French does require a lot of hard work but no one can expect what questions will come next for the physics.

French is a language so it is not hard as subjects like physics. Of course French does require a lot of hard work but no one can expect what questions will come next for the physics.

It's the same thing, a subject is a subject...I don't know, I've never found anything but french uninteresting in that sense. I loved Physics so much and I still feel guilty for not doing it :( Tears aside, I think sciences are purely awesome :) I'm perhaps the wrong person to answer anything in this topic then! And BTW HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT FRENCH ISN'T TOUGH!!! SCIENCES ARE MUCH EASIER IMO...WAY EASIER.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="akash jishnu" data-cid="184660" data-time="1366981331">akash jishnu, on 26 Apr 2013 - 20:54, said:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="cricketcrazynerd" data-cid="184617" data-time="1366897257">cricketcrazynerd, on 25 Apr 2013 - 21:32, said:

<p>OMG you are such a strange person...you can take that as a compliment if you wish :D coz it might or might not have been intended to be one... (:

I think%2

Compliment? What Compliment? Could you please point out what quote I written which you think it as a compliment. Don;t worry I am not angry :D I admit I have a communication barrier but I really did'nt understood what did you said

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="akash jishnu" data-cid="184660" data-time="1366981331">akash jishnu, on 26 Apr 2013 - 20:54, said:akash jishnu, on 26 Apr 2013 - 20:54, said:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="cricketcrazynerd" data-cid="184617" data-time="1366897257">cricketcrazynerd, on 25 Apr 2013 - 21:32, said:cricketcrazynerd, on 25 Apr 2013 - 21:32, said:<p>OMG you are such a strange person...you can take that as a compliment if you wish :D coz it might or might not have been intended to be one... (:I think%2

Compliment? What Compliment? Could you please point out what quote I written which you think it as a compliment. Don;t worry I am not angry :D I admit I have a communication barrier but I really did'nt understood what did you said
that's just a weird posting error thing, read my first post to understand the 'compliment' Edited by cricketcrazynerd

It's the same thing, a subject is a subject...I don't know, I've never found anything but french uninteresting in that sense. I loved Physics so much and I still feel guilty for not doing it :( Tears aside, I think sciences are purely awesome :) I'm perhaps the wrong person to answer anything in this topic then! And BTW HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT FRENCH ISN'T TOUGH!!! SCIENCES ARE MUCH EASIER IMO...WAY EASIER.

I am not saying French is an easy subject and I would be very happy if I take French and you wold take physics :). Physics is just like a portable hell to me. And language I am saying based on my experience. Whether it is English, Hindi, Marathi and Sanskrit even if I don't study languages I get good marks in the end of the day. Whereas Physics whether if I spend day and night in the end I get bad results only. French is a hard subject but it does not have application related questions and hence Physics is hard.

I am not saying French is an easy subject and I would be very happy if I take French and you wold take physics :). Physics is just like a portable hell to me. And language I am saying based on my experience. Whether it is English, Hindi, Marathi and Sanskrit even if I don't study languages I get good marks in the end of the day. Whereas Physics whether if I spend day and night in the end I get bad results only. French is a hard subject but it does not have application related questions and hence Physics is hard.

See English is awesome, if I was studying Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu or Arabic I would be in the same condition as well... Just try to love Physics and think that you'll do well and seriously, you will (experience again ;)) Apparently, Physics is like HL Maths (application as well you see), just keep on practising I guess, it can do no wrong. Keep positive coz all your hard work will pay off in the end. Seriously you seem like too much of a pessimist, that's your only problem I think. Nothing is impossible. If other people can do well in Physics, so can you. This should be your catchline!

One thing is that I don't what difficulty you face in French. and hence I have no right to say that French is an easy subject. Every person have their own weaknesses ...

One thing is that I don't what difficulty you face in French. and hence I have no right to say that French is an easy subject. Every person have their own weaknesses ...

Exactly :) End of debate...take the advice you find here or leave it :) Just don't say French is easy, legit it's the only thing in the world I seriously detest at the moment.

Gosh I'm starting to rant again... Just good luck and you'll be fine :D

Exactly :) End of debate...take the advice you find here or leave it :) Just don't say French is easy, legit it's the only thing in the world I seriously detest at the moment.

Thanks and same to you for your French I hope that my arguments have not angered you :D.

Thanks and same to you for your French I hope that my arguments have not angered you :D.

Nup nothing can anger me today...my favourite ipl match is on ;)