Question Answerss

SurajM

In terms of the etic (universal) and emic (culturally specific) approach question:

The way I would tackle this question is to define and distinguish between the two and then provide a study that is etic and also a study that is emic. See the differences between the two studies and say why the etic/emic approach is useful for each investigation.

Examine the role of two cultural dimensions on behaviour.
-This is a good question because you can explore individualism/collectivism and Time Orientation (Confucian Dynaminsm). You can define what each dimension is, include studies and make sure to answer the question - how it impacts behaviour

Well, Pike 1967 suggested the concepts of emic and etic to determine what is consistent across cultures. So Emic is what is culturally specific and etic is what is consistant across cultures, essentially 'universal.'

Emic - culturally specific phenomena

Seen in Manson et al 1985, through interviews with native informants (if it was conducted in retrospect to other cultures this would become etic) it was discovered that there was no Hopi word equivalent to depression, however there were familiar with all 5 illness categories. This displays a cultural difference, that despite that some was of looking at depression were similar, others were completely different.

Etic - cross culture: researches conduct empirical research into cross-cultures to discover what could be universal in human behaviour.

Seen in: World Health Organisation (1993) diagnosis and classification of depression - this was an etic investigation as it looked into depression in 4 different countries. It was discovered that 70% reported sadness, joylessness etc. and 40% displayed other symptoms that were not part of the diagnostic scheme. Demonstrating a strong impact of cultural factors.

Hopefully that clears it up a bit more... :)

You seem like an expert at psychology :o

thank youu

You're welcome :) Although - I'm no expert, just a student like you! I've made notes on each syllabus point so whenever somebody asks a question I bring it up - It's a good revision exercise! Seriously, go up to one of your friends and just recite a psychological study for fun! I've even told my parents about melatonin and seasonal affective disorder (to which they replied: what are you going on about) - never the less, good revision! :)

How about the role of cultural dimensions? Im not not really clear on that lol

I suppose it depends which dimensions you have learnt in class... I learnt individualism/collectivism and the confucian dynamism If you studied either of those I can try to help but otherwise you're better off going through what you learnt in class and revising those notes :)

My teacher never really thought this lol. she hasn't taught us much. She usually does the first unit of each chapter and then stops...she's horrible. It been more of a self-taught course for me really.

But those two dimensions would work too :)