Extended Essay in biology

Neeraj Chawla

So i am doing an extended essay in biology (for sure) - i have narrowed down my options and think I will be doing the effects of submerging a certain type of unicellular algae into different concentrated iron solutions - since this can in fact affect algal growth.

My question is what algae are most accesible and useful - dont know if seawater or freshwater algae is better - looking at green algae probably, but still not sure - and am looking for algae with generally bigger cell size so measuring growth will be easy or the cells just will not be visible even with a microscope, im thinking...

Anybody could help me with this or even give some tips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A random indian boy living in thailand

Edited by Neeraj Chawla

This sounds like a pretty cool EE. I'm doing a bio EE too, and I'm looking at growth too (of microorganisms). Check if your school has colorimeters - if it does, you can use this to measure turbidity. If you set it to measure absorbance of red light, for example, you can see how much green algae has grown in whatever solution you have it in.

Measuring cell growth is not a good idea, but the amount of algae is. Also, I would choose freshwater algae - fewer variables to keep in mind when creating your solution. In the end, you'll have to see what you can get your hands on. I would ask your teacher what the school can supply you with.