Public - Private school

fuelfuel

Though I wasn't the one you were asking... i'll tell you about my public school, which is similar

to be in IB, you have to be in pre-ib freshman and sophomore year; by the end of those two years you have to have kept decent grades, done CAS, etc. If not they kick you out. So by the time the real IB classes have started, they've weeded out the people who really shouldn't be there.

Though the IB teachers don't get a bonus or anything, most teachers want to be IB so they can have "easy" classes with less behavioral problems and kids who really want to learn. Therefore IB almost always gets the best quality teachers that our school has to offer, the most experienced and dedicated.

Being in a Public IB school is close enough to a private school to make me happy. Though we do have to put up with some dumb county and state policies- such as state standardized tests and practice tests and more practice tests; our classes are small and teachers are good. but at the same time i get exposure to the "real world" in the halls. the kids who do drugs, vandalize, etc. It keeps me down to earth instead of sheltering me, though I still get a good education.

exactly how my school system is set up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I go to a private school but am in no way a private school snob or anything. Over here the IB is only offered in a few private schools so i dont exctally have a choice.

I wouldnt say that the teachers at private schools are more qualified wither (although that tends to be the case most of the time) because only recently has it become law that teachers at private schools must have teaching degrees. Also teachers with doctorates or proffesors or whatever tend to choose to teach at private schools. I;ve also found that my teachers at private school are ore motivated than they were at my old public school.

I also think that private schools tend to get better overall grades only because they can be selective, and people at private schools tend to have the pressure put on them to do well.

However, state schools are just as good. If you put enough effort into your work it doesnt matter where you go, you can do just as well.

Private schools are rediculously over priced, but we do get better facilities and recourses because government funding for public schools suck.

I dont think its fair that people at private school get the bad rap for being up themselves. True that most of the people in my year wouldnt last two minutes in a public school, but we certainly arent snobs.

-soph x

Though I wasn't the one you were asking... i'll tell you about my public school, which is similar

to be in IB, you have to be in pre-ib freshman and sophomore year; by the end of those two years you have to have kept decent grades, done CAS, etc. If not they kick you out. So by the time the real IB classes have started, they've weeded out the people who really shouldn't be there.

Though the IB teachers don't get a bonus or anything, most teachers want to be IB so they can have "easy" classes with less behavioral problems and kids who really want to learn. Therefore IB almost always gets the best quality teachers that our school has to offer, the most experienced and dedicated.

Being in a Public IB school is close enough to a private school to make me happy. Though we do have to put up with some dumb county and state policies- such as state standardized tests and practice tests and more practice tests; our classes are small and teachers are good. but at the same time i get exposure to the "real world" in the halls. the kids who do drugs, vandalize, etc. It keeps me down to earth instead of sheltering me, though I still get a good education.

Quite similar to my school, except by the end of the first two years of high school, as long as you're passing and you paid for your IB exams - they should let you in. Heck, my friend was even suspended [for a very dumb reason] and did not get kicked out. Usually the IB teachers only really teach IB classes, Academic/Applied teachers teach Academic/Applied kids, and so forth. It's just easier for them because they know we are all eager to learn, and are willing to pay attention [most of the time].

Guest dragonb111

Private schools pwn. I've gone to public and private schools alike. The education you get at private schools is ten times better and at the private schools I've been to, there's a lot more control and a lot less swearing. The teachers are more qualified and I had a lot of an easier time making friends.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I go to a private school since only the private schools in my country have the IB program.

All my cousins go to public schools and i can tell u that (in my case at least) private schools have much better funding, the teachers are generally more qualified especially the IB teachers, and the classes are much smaller, so that the teachers efforts are more focused.

My school's great because it's a publically funded private school. What that means is that my municipality pays my school what it'd cost the municipality to educate me in one of its public schools. The advantage is that it's up to my school's board how to use that money and, through successful investments, it's wound up with more money than the average city school :}

My school's great because it's a publically funded private school. What that means is that my municipality pays my school what it'd cost the municipality to educate me in one of its public schools. The advantage is that it's up to my school's board how to use that money and, through successful investments, it's wound up with more money than the average city school :}

No, actually, the state directly pays for the school, which partially explains why it gets so much money. See, the money that is given by the state for schools isn't earmarked, so the municipality can choose to reallocate the money, as it (unfortunately) often does with its public schools. SYK (our school), however, receives the money directly from the state, not through the municipality, so we actually get as much money as the state has intended to give us. On top of this, of course, our investments do benefit us, no doubt about it :) .

• 3 weeks later...

i have been at a private school for 4 years, and i am part of the 1st cohort to do the IB. seriously- there is absolutely no difference.

it's all about what you do to make yourself succeed.

although i can tell you there is a big difference between 'normal' schools and selective schools

I attend a public school and it has it´s advantages and disadvantages. The most important disadvantage is the greater amount of work we have to do (atleast on the mexican public system) since we take a lot more subjects. For instance in this semester I took Biology HL, Chemistry HL, Philosopy SL, Math SL, English B HL, Spanish A1 HL, ITGS SL, TOK and History HL plus some other subjects that only matter for the normal high school diploma. This really screwes you down, but oh well.

The good thing is that the cost for the IB is reduced in more than a half, making it possible for people with not so much money getting a better education.

Even though I'm a Canadian, I live in the Philippines, and I have to say that there is a huge difference between private schools and public schools here. Public schools here do not even offer the IB, and their standard of teaching is really not very high. I have a friend whose parents made her go to a "semi"-local university here, and even in the most advanced math class at university (which she entered of course) they were still teaching factorisation.

I don't know about North America, but if you live in the Philippines then there's a huge difference between private and public schooling.

In Singapore, though, the public schools are definitely much harder and offer -- potentially -- better education than some of the international schools there. So this question seriously depends on where you're living. :P

I don't know about Germany, but I live in the US and I go to a public school and it is one of the only schools in the area that offers IB. There also aren't really any private schools that go through high school. Most of the private schools in the area end after elementary or middle school. Then everyone ends up at the same high school. I have friends that are also in the IB program that went to private schools and they aren't any better or worse off than those of us that were public schooled our whole lives. I say do whatever you wan. I don't think it makes that big of a difference, but things could be different in Germany.

As many people hav already stated, many private schools have smaller classes, where the students get more of much need attention, and also that the teacher may often be better (as of petter payment etc.) Another thing said is that students in private schools are also more calm, more quiet i class.

Well, where I attend IB, which is a public school, the school has alot of problem recruiting students, so we are only 20 people in our whole class (contra to 30 if I would have attended regular Norwegian education).

In my Physics class we are only 6 students (and if I would have taken regular education it would still be 30 people).

Also since the school really wants to keep the IB-system as an option for students, they give some of the better teachers to teach in the IB, so even if I go to a public school, i really feel that we have a good offer here =)

• 3 weeks later...

I was in a public school until i was 10, but once we moved to New Zealand from America the only system/school that offered IB was a private school, also im small and wimpy, nz public schools are rough and my head would get bashed in, also private is kinda cool other then all the spoiled,trust fund babies and kids who feel they are entitled. But hey.

• 4 weeks later...

I could wish that the government could be accept AND SUPPORT the IB so that we did not have to be private in order to do IB.

I think private schools are bad and unsocial because we have to pay, which means that only rich people can do it. This creates big differences.

A lot of schools in non-english speaking countries don't offer IB programs in public schools. Going to a private school doesn't mean there are better teachers because private school teachers get paid less (would you believe it) than normal school teachers (they may get privileges such as being able to send their children to the school without paying the tuition, but that's about it). Especially in European countries where the education systems are awesome, public schools are v. good and you'd get more interaction also with the ppl around town whereas in a private school you'd be isolated to your own school.

However, in places like Lebanon, where the only reasonable education you can get is in a private school, you have no choice (that is of course, if you have the money, otherwise you are screwed for life).