Public - Private school

fuelfuel

well in my case,

theres a main school set up in the city thats exclusively for IB students only.

and then you've got mine (private) who decided to invest (yes, INVEST) in IB.

in general private is better since you get better facilities and whatnot.

however just because its private doesn't guarantee better teaching...there are some pretty crappy teachers in mine

then again, you'll get some of them no matter where you go

BUT! if your doing IB, your teachers are normally the best ones.

so the major difference is more facilities, class sizes, more likely to have better technology and id say better general environment too.

i feel like i've already replied to this one too, but i would like to add to my probably exisiting ideas that private, religious schools can drive non-christian people insane.

their totally relgion based focus frequently penetrates into lesson and you keep wishing that people would stop saying that such and such a thing shows how wonderful god is... proves his existence...was all in his plan... ARGGGHHH!

• 3 weeks later...

well I believe that it depends on your country.

In some countries the public schools are better than the private ones. and so on.

But the one I'm going to is a private schools and in the country I am in now (not Koera by the way) private schools are way better :)

They have better environments for the teaching and all.

other public schools offer nationalities as well. for instance, my school is mixed with many different nationalities. you name it, i have it

Assuming the user lives in Palestine, if he went to a public school there's a really good chance he will not interact with different nationalities.

In the US (assuming you actually live there), there's an influx of immigrants that pretty much come from everywhere. Those immigrants are usually looking for a better life in the US. As a result, many could not afford private schools and opt for public schools (though i am not saying nationalities are not found in private schools). So you could easily interact with those different nationalities.

And since public schools have the english language, then yes, you will interact with different nationalities.

However this isn't the case in Palestine, or Israel as a matter of fact. If you opt for public schools in Palestine or Israel, you will be taught either in Hebrew or Arabic. Now there is not a huge influx of immigrants in Palestine and in Israel it's a different issue (but we are not talking about Jews here, since people who come from different nationalities usually have the Jewish roots to connect). Coming back to Palestine, if you go to a public school, chances are you are poor. Now according to my knowledge, there are rarely any immigrants going to seek a "better life" in Palestine. So those different nationalities that we get in Palestine are usually children of ambassadors, consulates, etc, NGO workers, so on, and they usually go to schools that offer programmes in English (which happen to be private schools), and therefore you get nationalities mix.

If I went to an arabic public school, there's an extremely good chance I won't interact with a different nationality.... unless you count the armenians :P

I always went to a private schools. To be honest the arab public schools are terrible. so...

i feel like i've already replied to this one too, but i would like to add to my probably exisiting ideas that private, religious schools can drive non-christian people insane.

their totally relgion based focus frequently penetrates into lesson and you keep wishing that people would stop saying that such and such a thing shows how wonderful god is... proves his existence...was all in his plan... ARGGGHHH!

Really? I've never experienced that in my old school which was a private all girls catholic school. They sort of left the muslims alone, I mean RE was compulsory and all that, but it was adjusted to either islamic studies and christian studies. However they still taught us evolution, big bang, and all that.

Edited by Leen

• 2 weeks later...

Private schools generally have a better learning environment as opposed to public school. That's not to say that you can't find hard working and helpful students in public school. I am in a public school and it offers regular academic courses and IB courses. I think no matter which school you chose as long as it has an IB program than you will automatically have a sound environment.

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion my be biased as I'm in private school, but generally there are smaller class sizes so you can get better one-on-one attention from the teacher. I'm not sure how big classes in public schools are. So, for the IB sometimes you need that extra help and it is easier to get in private school IMO, due to the smaller class sizes.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm now at private school but i was at a state school before. i had some really great teachers in my state school but i found in general that there just wasnt enough support for brighter pupils. the school was really keen to keep people at school (there was a really high drop out rate) and so just didn't seem to care so much about bright pupils. in my private school i feel we get much more support to do well - we have a really great mix of teachers and nice facilities and loads of really nice people here. maybe it was just the schools i been to but i definitely prefer my private high school to my state high school.

although when it comes to primary school - i loved my state school - although i went to a bilingual school so maybe things are different in monolingual schools.

mmm yea i think that the major difference with private is that you are able to have the attention from teachers as you are in a smaller class environment and the teachers (usualyy) really want to help and push you to your potential. Also the teachers are really organised and help you to get the best education you can

well in my case,

theres a main school set up in the city thats exclusively for IB students only.

and then you've got mine (private) who decided to invest (yes, INVEST) in IB.

in general private is better since you get better facilities and whatnot.

however just because its private doesn't guarantee better teaching...there are some pretty crappy teachers in mine

then again, you'll get some of them no matter where you go

BUT! if your doing IB, your teachers are normally the best ones.

so the major difference is more facilities, class sizes, more likely to have better technology and id say better general environment too.

Well I also go to a private school. In our school the class size is small by coincidence - it depends on the number of people that choose a course, so in some there are all and in others only 3. (But altogether grade 12 only has like 25 students or so.) I wish we had good technology! Our science equipment is really pathetic, it partly screwed up my extended essay.

The environment is way better - I totally agree with you. The teachers are in general much friendlier, etc. I'm glad I don't go to a public school, which I've experienced and which I hated.

Don't think there's such a huge difference because it's IB after all and the whole point of IB is to have a uniform (or rather - as uniform as possible) standard among different schools.

You mean an actual uniform? We don't have that and I would never wear it. XD

• 2 months later...

I came from a private school to the school I do IB in now - a public school. Private schools are more strict, but I can't say that they have the BEST teachers. I only went to a private school because I had a scholarship.. I don't think that good education should cost, though. :P

Private schools benefit from a smaller class and usually more scholastic classmates but I definitely don't agree on Private schools having a better education. I think the education is basically the same for private and public. The curriculum for IB is the same in both schools and the teachers teach better not because of the higher salary but the passion to do so. Also in every school, private or public, you get a handful of really good teachers and teachers that make you scream so your education is really how willing you are to try.

I agree with a lot of the people above who have said that having the IB program more or less evens out the differences between private and public schools. I go to a public school, and all our teachers are required to be trained specifically for IB (I'm pretty sure this is standard everywhere). The fact is that crappy teachers are almost never willing to go through that extra work (I'm pretty sure IB teachers are paid the same as mainstream teachers) meaning that we end up getting taught by the teachers who are genuinely interested in teaching us.

I have heard rumors about how private schools boost up the grades of their students in order for them get into good universities and ultimately make their schools look good. It is not a proven fact but it is just something I have heard.

My school (public) tends to be accused of that, but as I'm in the IB, that accusation is just ridicolous for me, at least. And the (snobbish) private school close to where I live has a lower diploma rate than my school, so private school doesn't have to be better.

Edited by Tilia

At my country the level of the private schools is a lot higher than the one of the public schools.

I don't know the situation between private and public schools at IB as I doubt if there are any public schools that have the IB program here.

But if there are the situation is probably the same.