15-year-old has SECOND child! - What to do?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319145/A-mother--aged-15-Thought-horrified-stories-schoolgirl-mums-Then-read-jaw-dropping-interview.html

The article above ^ has the story.

Basically, a 12-year-old girl from Nottingham got pregnant and gave birth. She then had sex with the same guy 10 months after the first baby was born, and now has a second one at the age of 15. The father has seen the first baby once and hasn't seen the second one ever. He also allegedly has children with three or four other sexual partners. (Take the overt father-bashing with a grain of salt since this is the Daily Mail.)

The UK is currently funding this girl and her mother (who is singlehandedly supporting their household) with massive benefits cheques.

Two questions for debate:

(1) What is happening to the youth?

(2) Is this how I want government taxes to be spent? Supporting girls like her?

Discuss.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 2

1) The yutes of today need some humorous slogans to discourage making babies they can't afford. For example, 'don't be silly, wrap your willy' or 'cover your monkey before you get spunky.' I blame the mainstream ****e music, where the singers belt out autotuned boasts about how much they love being naked or getting freaky. :P

2) Having her baby was her choice. I've chosen to go to university the same way she has chosen to have a baby - why should I have to pay 9k a YEAR and she doesn't? And if the reply is 'she doesn't have that money' well neither do I, I have to take a loan out and pay it off bit by bit until I'm middle aged.

• Like 7

Youth are losing touch with any sense of honour and responsibility.We really push being all for ourselves and living for ourselves. its not as key to be a community player as it use to be, but we forget that we still rely on each other and we carry a responsibility to be a good citizen, especially considering we pay for each others public services in some countries.

i don't like my money being spent on causes like this, but I consider the kids, the shouldn't suffer financially because of their parents stud pity, the problem is though the kids aren't given a way out of these poverty traps and become professional welfare check collectors like their parents. Situations like this shouldn't be taken lightly as this is a problem for society, but they are also used by right wing politicians to justify budget cuts. A few crazy people shouldn't ruin it for the rest of society, question is how to deter such behaviour.

• Like 3

Maybe it's just me being simran and insensitive, but seriously this girl has problems...2 kids and she's just 15. She didn't learn from her mistakes at all? And keeping a baby in a closet is not a naive thing, it's a stupid one. I don't have any sympathy for her. Maybe I even find this amusing...I actually can't believe this, she did the same thing again.

(1) They are becoming bigger retards. Period. How much more sexual education do you want to stop making the mistake freaking twice!!! Every sense of honor and societal values has disappeared and apparently no longer holds that much importance in their lives. But since (hopefully) she forms only a minor part of the 'youth' and the rest of us accept that she's brainless/ emotionless, the future doesn't look that dark

(2) God no. If she only had one kid, was abandoned by her parents after that and that poor thing had no where to go, giving her financial help would make sense, but just wasting funding on someone so i don't know futile? it's useless. SHE DESERVES TO SUFFER!!!

• Like 1

I wouldn't go as far as to say she deserves to suffer... but I understand the sentiment and would say that she shouldn't be financially supported for it :)

So I pay 9k a year (overseas students more!) for an education that may get me to a career that is a mixture of well paid and helpful to people. Why should I bother when the government make it clear that oh no, don't put in hard work and try to be beneficial, you pop out a baby and generally be an inconvenience to everyone and you can have it all paid for, no worries.

Start sex ed in kindergarten, maybe...

Girls are weird at that age. John will wonder why Sarah doesn't have boobs like the lady on tv if she's actually a girl.

YOU CAN'T CONFUSE HIM LIKE THAT. It's just mean.so so mean

If we just argue that girls are icky until the age of 16 we'll dramatically reduce the pregnancies in the UK by at least 1.

(2) God no. If she only had one kid, was abandoned by her parents after that and that poor thing had no where to go, giving her financial help would make sense, but just wasting funding on someone so i don't know futile? it's useless. SHE DESERVES TO SUFFER!!!

Right, I'm sure that if you made mistakes in your life, you'd actively avoid getting help from anyone because. You're acting as if there's only one person in the picture too. I'd hate to live in a society where people have no help from the government just because of things like that. While it'd be better if they didn't have children so young, withdrawing help to make them suffer benefits no one.

• Like 3

Wow, some strong opinions out here....

Though I do consider this girl stupid (didn't read the article, I'm swimming in Psych notes right now). It makes me wonder... How come I had virtually no sex ed (save for what I learnt myself, my primary had sex ed taught by a religious education teacher who ordered us to procreate and in middle school they tried to ignore the fact that we might actually be horny teenagers) yet know all I need about contraception, STDs and stuff, I'm 19 and I don't have a baby in tow, yet others are so damn stupid as to have unprotected sex in the times when TV makes loads of programmes about how and why to protect yourself? That's beyond my understanding...

• Like 1

Though I do consider this girl stupid (didn't read the article, I'm swimming in Psych notes right now). It makes me wonder... How come I had virtually no sex ed (save for what I learnt myself, my primary had sex ed taught by a religious education teacher who ordered us to procreate and in middle school they tried to ignore the fact that we might actually be horny teenagers) yet know all I need about contraception, STDs and stuff, I'm 19 and I don't have a baby in tow, yet others are so damn stupid as to have unprotected sex in the times when TV makes loads of programmes about how and why to protect yourself? That's beyond my understanding...

A stupid person is stupid. That's why.

• Like 2

I think I'm too stupid to understand such a level of stupidity...

Same here. And seriously I can't understand why that ditsy girl would do it TWICE!! It's seriously beyond my understanding...

I personally think that a welfare system for the children is understandable and acceptable. When you top that off with support for an idiotic girl like the one in the article, I get annoyed. When you give her council housing and essentially a free education as well, I'm downright pissed off.

• Like 1

Same here. And seriously I can't understand why that ditsy girl would do it TWICE!! It's seriously beyond my understanding...

Actually, some mad percentage of teenage mothers comes to have a second child within some minimal amount of time (as you can see, I'm not good with numbers)

I did say I was an insensitive person :D

Why do you say that with so much pride?

I'd rather be logical and insensitive rather than that stupid. I can never be in her position. Yes I do take pride in that :D

Accidents happen, you know... And you never know what position you might find yourself in later in life.

Actually, some mad percentage of teenage mothers comes to have a second child within some minimal amount of time (as you can see, I'm not good with numbers)
Why??? Seriously I just can't stand people acting that dumb...it gets to my nerves!!

Nup, I can ensure anyone that can never happen to me...I can't even take mushy dialogues in films- I either walk out of the room or fast forward them. Even understanding why anyone would do that is way beyond my perception of the world. Also, don't forget i come from a strict, conservative Indian family :)

Edited by cricketcrazynerd

Well, she clearly comes from a broken home. By the sounds of it, her father left her at the boy's house after she gave birth to the first one, knowing that that boy was the father, and didn't question when she didn't comer home for 4 days.

You can see the signs of negligent parenting.

This girl is the product of a vicious circle that involves unstable parental units that has caused her to spiral out of control. Couple that with her environment and being surrounded by chavs and lowlifes and her actions fit right in. I bet you ten bucks that in a decade-and-a-half, her two sons will most likely be in the same or similar position and festering as chavs themselves. It's not even their fault. They are the products of their genes and environment.

Edited by Arrowhead