Grades

Tina St

So I have browse along the forum for interesting topics and 90% of people say that they get 40-45 as predictions? How is that possible? Are they lying? Because I know that the mean is 32 generally worldwise... Just wanna hear some opinions... So that my moral gets higher :P Thanks

I think most of the people who are competent enough to give advice, etc are like the level 5-7 students in those subject areas, so they're the ones who tend to post most R.E. those subjects. I know I wouldn't feel confident giving advice about a subject or something if I was just a level 4 or 3 student. Also, I don't really think that it's like 90% of people. I think you might just be seeing the same significant minority of incredibly intelligent people who can give all around excellent advice in multiple subject areas over and over again.

• Like 2

Like Matsu said above, it is only a small minority of students giving advice in different subject areas. My strengths lie in English, History, and Economics, for example, so I feel comfortable in advising people within these disciplines. I would, of course, refrain from advising someone in ESS or Maths since I personally suck at these subjects.

People in this community really have nothing better to do, or, like me, find this to be a place for 'helpful procrastination'.

I suspect that there must be some kind of correlation between grades and the people that are active on IB survial.

I'm not saying that everyone interested in this website should be predicted 40+ but I am sure that most average students (30+ or less) wouldn't be as interested in a website that is about surviving IB.. Most of the people I know that are in IB don't really give sh*t about the programme and would never in a million years ponder their subjects after school.

I have the highest prediction in my entire grade, and most of the people in my class are predicted around 30 point and I am the only one using this website. In fact, 40 points is the highest IB score anyone in my school has achieved, people can be predicted 45 points but it doesn't mean they get 45 points.

I really hope nobody feels so ashamed about their predictions that they would resort to lying about them (that would be really really sad! and pretty pointless too).

It might be due to confirmation bias that you think most people get very high marks. My guess is that the people who are confident enough about their marks put them in their signatures, while others who are less confident do not.

With all the slacking I've done, I'd predict myself at maybe a 33, if that makes you feel any better. I never got around to putting it in my signature because I don't post here that often, and because it is not very important to me.

Btw.. you cannot get 45 as a predicted grade, can you? As far as I'm concerned it's 42 points, because you only get comment on TOK, CAS and EE, so you cannot really get predicted grades in those areas, which, at least for me, logically means that it's impossible to get more than 42 points. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. Cheers.

Edited by Michał H.

You get pradicted grades for EE and TOK, A, B, C etc., and the combination of these can give you 0 to 3 points, it's pretty complicated but google "TOK EE matrix" and you'll get the idea. So yeah, you can be predicted 45 but I heard some schools in the UK for example don't like predicting AA.

I'm not sure what the conversation was about though so sorry if this is not relevant ;d

It's still about the grades so nothing to worry about. Hmm.. strange, because my IB Coordinator told us that we only get comment on TOK, CAS and EE.

It probably depends on the school, but from what my EE supervisor told me every single EE and ToK essay gets a predicted grade which is sent along with the essay to the examiners, and then they can compare grades (not saying that the predicted grade influences the final one at all though). Some schools even keep IA grades confidential from their students, and many schools are afraid of predicting more than a B (not really sure why though). My school gave everyone a predicted grade for their EE and for ToK, but most predictions were C's. We received comments as well. Schools have their own policies on such things. There is no grade for CAS :clap:

Well, it also depends what you want the grades for.. but for UCAS (and probably US Common Application or whatever the name is, too), you certainly need the grades. And also when you write your EE, I think that the supervisor sends a comment with a grade, but this grade doesn't really matter for the examiners, it's not like with IAs when they only check if your teacher was fair.

At least that's what I remember, but maybe there is indeed no grade on the actual work, only comment, yeah, then predicted grades would only be for UCAS I guess ;P OK I don't know, done with my essays anyway, I think I should go study for the exam that I have tommorow haha