Can you do both the IB diploma and take AP course(s)

It is possible to do so. But it won't be easy and you're better off taking APs in subjects separate to your IB ones eg no point taking IB french and then taking a test in AP french. Why AP's though? Do you want to apply North America or something? If so, you might be better of taking SATs. If you're applying to American universities, the top ones ask for a minimum of 2.

Haha my reaction to your sig = "LAWD JEZUS... oh"

It's just that my school has blocks of 8, 6 which are already used for my IB courses and a 7th that is used to fulfill my CAS requirements and TOK, which leaves my 8th block completely free so I was thinking of taking APUSH for that block for the first year and APCS on the next (maybe). Aren't the SATs/ACTs a completely different, much more compulsory examination?

APs are completely different from the SAT. While AP courses aren't necessarily required to apply to American universities, especially when you have the IB, SATs (or the ACT, which is similar but has some notable differences) is pretty much REQUIRED. Without either the SAT or the ACT, you will not be accepted to an American university as it is an entrance exam that universities use to help with admissions. You need to take at minimum the general SAT which tests you in mathematics (but really, it's not that hard), reading comprehension, and writing. More elite universities will ask for subject tests, in which you take the SAT subject test in random subjects (such as history, a language, a science, etc), and you can pick which ones you like, although it's best to select subject tests in areas that you feel strongest in and relate to university plans (i.e. if you were applying for engineering you might want to take the math and physics ones, if you were applying for international relations you might want to take the history and a language one).

Just go for AP if you have the option and are sure you want to go to North America. I just took IB cause it was better than nothing. It'll still get you places though, and some American unis credit IB too! Not to mention the fact that you'll handle stress and work like a bawse.

Edited by Matsu

You wanna do em simultaneously? YOu can't because you won't have time in IB

Of course you can do them simultaneously. You just have to manage your time well. I did three AP exams along with my IB subjects in my final year of high school and got no less than a 5 on any of my IB subjects and a 5 on all of my AP exams. You just have to be practical and dedicated.

Of course you can do them simultaneously. You just have to manage your time well. I did three AP exams along with my IB subjects in my final year of high school and got no less than a 5 on any of my IB subjects and a 5 on all of my AP exams. You just have to be practical and dedicated.

DOes it serve extra benefit when applying to the universities? Surely if you would have gotten 45/45 on your IB and had applied to oxford (which you might had), you would have gotten your seat.

My personal opinion is that to give yourself a break. This is only high school, you have time to spend on better and much harder things ;)

DOes it serve extra benefit when applying to the universities? Surely if you would have gotten 45/45 on your IB and had applied to oxford (which you might had), you would have gotten your seat.

My personal opinion is that to give yourself a break. This is only high school, you have time to spend on better and much harder things ;)

I mean it can serve a little benefit if the subjects you're taking the exams in aren't in IB subjects and you need them for a specific course. I took AP calculus exams because I didn't take HL math and I was going into engineering (didn't think I was when I was deciding IB subjects). But with my friend who took the IB HL biology exam AND the AP biology exam "just in case she didn't do well on IB biology," I found that to be a complete waste of time and money when she could have spent that extra time studying for IB bio.

And no, I didn't apply to Oxford :P