History HL exam tomorrow- PLEASE HELP!

Smile44

Hey! I have my History HL- peacekeeping exam tomorrow and I need some help. Based on past papers, what is likely to show up this year, or not show up? I do topics one and five for paper two if that helps. And any tips are welcome, thank you!!

Edited by Smile44

Well, if you're doing peacekeeping and peacemaking for Paper 1, your paper 1 will be based on the interwar period. That could be about a treaty (Versailles Treaty), an agreement ( the sovereignty of Åland Islands), an event (the Japanese invasion of Manchuria), the success and failure of the League of Nations, etc.. We can't really know what will be on the exam, so it'll be hard for any of us to say this or that is likely to show up. However, keep in mind that you could most likely link it to either the Versailles Treaty or the League of Nations (sometimes both). If you haven't read on anything, I suggest you read about the Versailles Treaty and the League of Nations at least.

As for topic 1 (wars) and 5 (Cold War), it's really just up to what you've learnt in class. Two major wars that tend to be on the exams in some form, is the two world wars. As for the cold war, I'm not too sure, but I've seen quite a few questions in the past dealing with specific people from the Cold War era.

Go through some past papers (search for them, they are easily found on the internet), and familiarise yourself with the format. That will help you a lot!

Good luck!

Where can I find a syllabus or list of general topics that may be covered for the 20th century world portion of the IB History HL exam?

Topic 1: Causes, practices and effects of wars

• First World War (1914- 8)

• Second World War (1939- 45)

• Africa: Algerian War (1954- 62), Nigerian Civil War (1967-70)

• Americas: Falklands/Malvinas war (1982), Nicaraguan Revolution (1976- 9)

• Asia and Oceania: Indo-Pakistan wars (1947- 9, 1965, 1971), Chinese Civil War (1927- 37 and 1946- 9)

• Europe and Middle East: Spanish Civil War (1936- 9), Iran–Iraq war (1980- 88), Gulf War (1991)

Topic 2: Democratic states—challenges and responses

• Africa: South Africa 1991-2000, Mandela; Nigeria 1961- 6

• Americas: Argentina 1983- 95, Alfonsin and Menem; Canada 1968- 84, Trudeau; United States 1953-73, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon

• Asia and Oceania: India 1947- 64, Nehru; Japan 1945-52, post-war reconstruction; Australia 1965-75

• Europe and Middle East: France 1958- 69, de Gaulle; Great Britain and Northern Ireland 1967- 90; Weimar Germany 1919-33

Topic 3: Origins and development of authoritarian and single-party states

• Africa: Kenya—Kenyatta; Tanzania—Nyerere

• Americas: Argentina—Perón; Cuba—Castro

• Asia and Oceania: China—Mao; Indonesia—Sukarno

• Europe and the Middle East: Germany—Hitler; USSR—Stalin; Egypt—Nasser

Topic 4: Nationalist and independence movements in Africa and Asia and post-1945 Central and Eastern European states

• Nationalist and independence movements in Africa and Asia
  • Movements: Africa—Algeria, Angola, Belgian Congo/Zaire, Ghana, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe; Asia—India and Pakistan, Indochina
  • Leaders: Ben Bella (Algeria), Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam), Jinnah (Pakistan), Gandhi (India), Mugabe (Zimbabwe), Nkrumah (Ghana)
  • Post-1945 nationalist and independence movements in Central and Eastern Europe
  • Movements: Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Poland, Yugoslavia and its dissolution and successor states
  • Leaders: Walesa (Poland), Havel (Czechoslovakia)

Topic 5: The Cold War

• Wartime conferences: Yalta and Potsdam

• US policies and developments in Europe: Truman Doctrine, Marshall Plan, NATO

• Soviet policies, Sovietization of Eastern and Central Europe, COMECON, Warsaw Pact

• Sino–Soviet relations

• US–Chinese relations

• Germany (especially Berlin (1945- 61)), Congo (1960- 64), Afghanistan (1979- 88), Korea, Cuba, Vietnam, Middle East

• Castro, Gorbachev, Kennedy, Mao, Reagan, Stalin, Truman

Edited by DrgnTrn

where can I find a syllabus for paper 3 for IB History HL- TZ1?

Every school chooses a particular option for Paper 3. Simply saying TZ1 offers us no information to help you.

Which continent's history did you focus on in class for Paper 3? My school, for example, focused on History of the Americas. Other schools focus on Asia and Oceania or Imperial Russia, etc.