The Music Thread

Mr. Shiver

So who here loves music? What kind? What are some of your favourite artists? Does music help or hurt you while studying?

This thread is where we discuss all of this and more (respectfully!).

Personally I've been listening to a lot of The Verve lately. I can't wait to listen to their first album in over a decade. However, I think my favourite band has to be Incubus, hands down.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

Music taste, the one thing that I haven't had very much in common with anyone I have ever known. Why? I tell you why, I like hip hop, AND Metallica. Does two don't seem to fit, ha? At least that's what people's telling me. What's all this with metal people disliking hip hop... It's tiresome. Everyone I have ever met dislikes hip hop... My music taste is quite extensive, to summarise it briefly: Hip hop, R&B [Remember a lot of artists are included in those categories] Metallica, Coldplay, U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson and some Swedish artist, e.g., Håkan Hellström, Kent and Vincent. Last thing: Music does NOT help me while studying, I'm one of those who cannot listen to music and study at the same time, although music is great for inspiration.

I guess the reason why I never liked rap/hip-hop that much has a lot to do the culture and image that comes along with it. I was never really a huge fan of the kind of stuff it promotes. Some hip hop I really enjoy (case in point: Outkast's 1998 album Aquemini, which I'm listening to right now), but most of the mainstream stuff is painful to my ears.

The new Coldplay songs are awesome. I'm really glad they decided to try some new stuff out this time, because I was beginning to get bored of them.

Music has got to be my greatest source of pleasure. And distraction.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

I love rock (Rise Against, Skillet, etc) but I've played 10 years of classical piano

Basically, I'm up for anything cept techno and country.. I find those two really boring/uninteresting ><

I always listen to music while studying.. it pumps me up, haha

I guess the reason why I never liked rap/hip-hop that much has a lot to do the culture and image that comes along with it. I was never really a huge fan of the kind of stuff it promotes. Some hip hop I really enjoy (case in point: Outkast's 1998 album Aquemini, which I'm listening to right now), but most of the mainstream stuff is painful to my ears.

The new Coldplay songs are awesome. I'm really glad they decided to try some new stuff out this time, because I was beginning to get bored of them.

Music has got to be my greatest source of pleasure. And distraction.

Ok, well I got to admit that I can't stand those American rappers going f*** in every sentence, but I love hip hop mostly because of the wonderful beats and yeah, Outkast = awesome! ;) Yes, Coldplay's new songs are great, and I'm happy they actually did come with a new album, a while ago it sounded like they were going to quit.

I listen to all kinds of music. Literally. Some of my friends don't believe me but I enjoy all kinds of music.

Also I remember reading somewhere, Listening to classical music helps you concentrate while studying. Like Mozart, Beethoven they're all good while studying.

Haha, what a great question. I'm pretty instrumental, so I've been playing classical music on flute and piano for about 10 years now, but recently my tastes have changed... I went through this heavy metal stage, then hip hop, then alternative, then rock... and now I've matured and settled for nice (but not classical) piano pieces. E.g. Yiruma... David Lanz etc. ;)

Music....my escape.

I make it (via Garage Band, FL Studio, and Rosegarden)

Mix it (im a basement DJ)

And love it

Right now, Im really into N*E*R*D...Pharell is just awesome, Tiesto, and Basshunter.

Also Im really into a variety of Rap.

I love music. I always study with music. I like heaps of different kinds of music.

At the moment I am loving Midlake, Foals, and Thom Yorke. Obviously I love alternative music always have ever since I was 12. Electro-indie is really tickling my fancy right now but I have always loved Fleetwood Mac and similar artist. I have a soft spot for female singer-songwriters eg Joan as Police Woman, Missy Higgins, New Buffalo and Sia.

And I ashamed to say I like popstars like Robyn, Kylie and Britney.

Music taste, the one thing that I haven't had very much in common with anyone I have ever known. Why? I tell you why, I like hip hop, AND Metallica. Does two don't seem to fit, ha? At least that's what people's telling me. What's all this with metal people disliking hip hop... It's tiresome. Everyone I have ever met dislikes hip hop... My music taste is quite extensive, to summarise it briefly: Hip hop, R&B [Remember a lot of artists are included in those categories] Metallica, Coldplay, U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson and some Swedish artist, e.g., Håkan Hellström, Kent and Vincent. Last thing: Music does NOT help me while studying, I'm one of those who cannot listen to music and study at the same time, although music is great for inspiration.

I can't say I quite agree- I'm more into Metallica and the like, but there is a guy on IB at my college who would probably really agree with you!

How come you listen to Basshunter? :) I might be wrong, but aren't all his lyrics in Swedish?

Yeah his lyrics are in sweedish but that doesnt matter. I listen to French and Japanese rap. Eventhough i dont know what they are saying i still love it.

Music is...AWESOME.

I admit, I also listen to a lot of different type of music, classical, jazz (Ella Fitzgerald!) , pop, R&B, some occasional rock (I also like the new Coldplay songs!!!. I find music distracting while I'm studying, unless it's instrumental.

Edited by homeroom

yeah i would agree instrumental music is the best thing to listen to while studying cuz everything else distracts me and i find myself singing along instead of studying =P

has anyone here heard of Outlandish? they have really good songs with meaning to them not the typical lost in love type of thing....

yeah i would agree instrumental music is the best thing to listen to while studying cuz everything else distracts me and i find myself singing along instead of studying =P

has anyone here heard of Outlandish? they have really good songs with meaning to them not the typical lost in love type of thing....

OUTLANDISH [i guess you mean the Danish group... XD ] is absolutely lovely, I love their voices and as you say, the songs actually deal with something of value XD [Not that love is not, but you know what I mean...]

I like music very much, but it's not like I wouldn't survive without it (even if life would be pretty lame). My taste in music varies all the time, but right now I listen a lot to Crystal Castles, The Klaxons, The Deer Tracks, Foals, Tori Amos and a Swedish band called Kultiration. XD Music while studying.. sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. Depends on what language the lyrics are in and what subject you're studying.