EE bylaws

tigarscratch

Hello,

So my EE is over physics, and it's about electrical conductivity. I wanna experiment on humans, but the current and voltage is extremely miniscule that it won't really do any true damage.

I was just wondering if this was against the bylaws of EE experimentation. One of our tryhard supervisors told me to make sure, but another teacher already told me that I was cleared; I just wanna make sure lol, I wouldn't want an E on my EE -_-

Thanks!

Hey there!

The IBO is very concerned for experimentation with living things and potentially dangerous stuff. I searched through the EE guide, and I found this in the ESS section, which seems highly relevant to your EE:

There are also some topics that should be considered unsuitable for ethical or safety reasons. For example,
experiments likely to inflict pain on living organisms, cause unwarranted environmental damage or put pressure on
others to behave unethically must be avoided. Similarly, experiments that pose a threat to health, possibly using
toxic or dangerous chemicals, or putting oneself at physical risk during fieldwork, should be avoided unless
adequate safety apparatus and qualified supervision are available.

This was written in the physics section:

Some topics may be unsuitable for investigation because of safety issues. For example, experiments involving
dangerous or carcinogenic substances, radioactive materials, lasers, microwaves, UV light, noise or heavy
equipment should be avoided unless adequate safety apparatus and qualified supervision are available. Typical
experiments done in class, not suitable in themselves as a basis for an extended essay, can be a source of good
topics.

Use those as guidance, and make a decision based on this, and if you decide to go ahead, make sure that you mention the risks somewhere in your EE to be on the safe side.

Good luck!