Maths SL Paper 2 TZ2

madame_lexie

How did you guys find paper 2? I think it was harder than the previous years, but the questions were manageable. However, since they were much harder than usual, they took twice the time I usually need to work them out. So I ended up leaving 2 questions out in section A - the sequences question and probability. The trigonometry question was nasty - took me 20 minutes to finally work it out - hopefully I got the right value of r (approx 6cm?)

The vectors question in section B was a gift, even Q10 was fairly easy except for the last sub-question. Then since I suck at probability, Q9 was my pitfall. Probably lost most of those 15 marks :(

Because I lost about 20 points in the first paper (too tired after history p3) I was extremely motivated during p2 and hope to get over 95% from this one. The only mistake I made was in the last question hopefully (I got m=0.703 while the correct result is m=0.706 I guess).

But in general I really liked the paper!

does anyone remember what was the task in the last question... were we supposed to sketch the graph of both functions at once or just f(x)?

I'm pretty sure it was both.

This paper was weird... the more I think about both p1 and p2 the more I'm afraid I made lots of stupid mistakes... But I still hope for a 6, I don't think it was that bad after all.

does anyone remember what was the task in the last question... were we supposed to sketch the graph of both functions at once or just f(x)?

This paper was weird... the more I think about both p1 and p2 the more I'm afraid I made lots of stupid mistakes... But I still hope for a 6, I don't think it was that bad after all.

Yes, I am also sure they asked for both and most probably there will be some points for drawing the point of intersection of the functions.

Did you use graph paper for your sketch? I did and I am not sure whether it was required or not...

mmmm I used it, i don't think it would be easy to draw an exponential function in the answer booklet...

and after this paper i am sure TI nspire cx is the best friends i've ever had :)

i think one of the points was for the point of intersection, the other for y-intersepts and the last for the domain :)

Yes, I am also sure they asked for both and most probably there will be some points for drawing the point of intersection of the functions.

Did you use graph paper for your sketch? I did and I am not sure whether it was required or not...

yeah, it was section B so you couldn't draw it in the questionbooklet and in the answer booklet it wouldn't be precise at all, so the only sensible thing to do was to use a graph paper. But I agree they could've mentioned it because when you're nervous you can focus too much on stupid details and make a stupid mistake ;d I thought it through on a mock exam though so didn't have to worry now ;d

Poles, Poles everywhere :>>>

Just in case anyone else was looking for answers:
a) ratio from the geometric sequence question: r=0.95
b) common term from the binomial expansion question: a=4
c) m giving the greates area: m=0.707

Edited by Pepe

a no racja :)

most people in my class got 0.707 (0.706667 to 3sf)

Racja, my bad ;)

I changed it in the original post.

Everyone says that boundaries will be lower (below 84% for 7), hope so.

Edited by Pepe

it would be great, 82% is enough i guess

but it depends on how they treat the last question... i personally didnt have time so i just calculated m such as the curves intersect at (3, 2.12) and gave a short explanation referring to the graph. the result i obtained was correct but the method quite weird

Does anyone remember what the geometric sequence question was, like the exact numbers they gave us?

I remember I had 0.9xx (is 0.95 the exact value or correct to two decimal places?)

Your result is correct, it was 0.95. I was really surprised when 'solver' gave me an exact value! :) But I also checked it by drawing the graph so Im 100 % sure.

Edited by Pepe